Question HDMI splitter needed from Humax Foxsat HDR500 to 2/3 TVs

David Chapman

In the old house we had a Triax Tri-link, 4 way link amplifier, and magic eyes at each remote TV. But low quality TV and mono sound.

In the new house renovation we're watching more apps on the two new 2018 LG TVs but want to keep satellite and recorded content via the Humax. The Humax is centrally located in a cupboard. From there, two coax and HDMI cables run to each remote TV location, lounge (25m cable run) and bedroom (15m cable run) and a 3rd spare set if we put a TV in somewhere else.

We have no Cat 5e/6 cabling but may put this in for reliable signal from broadband router (in the same cupboard) to each 4k TV rather than the current wifi connection.

My thought is to keep the Triax to take the magic eye signal for each remote control at each TV but to send AV via HDMI cable from the Humax's HDMI out to an HDMI splitter and then on to each TV via the 15m/25m HDMI cables in situ.

But... what HDMI splitter should I use? I like the Triax stuff and they do one (see page 10): https://www.triax.uk/media/com_redshopb/documents/originals/products/49401-49500/gb-triax-hd-distribution-broch6-49443.pdf

What other suggestions does any one have? I could buy a HDMI modulator instead, and run AV over coax from this, also encompassing the magic eye at the same time.

An HDMI splitter may be the cheaper solution as I already have the Triax Tri-link but would an HD modulator be better considering the 15m & 25m HDMI cable run lengths? If so, what make of modulator? Stick with Triax?

By the way, our sparky put the HDMI cables in but I don't think he's a great AV expert and was just following our instructions to do so.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Rodders53

:facepalm: This was a question to ask before running and installing cables.

AIUI hdmi cables of that length are unlikely to work well and reliably. Humax and hdmi are a pita so anything may need a regular kick to handshake and work as you'd hope it would.

Run the Cat5/6 cables asap and get a switch in your 'equipment room'.

A DVB-T HD modulator from Triax is ca. £140-160 and includes the IR link feature compatible with your existing kit ... needs H.264 codec enabled TV sets.

But install the custom firmware (and Nowsters patch) on the Foxsat-HDR and you can 1) stream recordings to other TVs 2) remote control via a phone/tablet or PC. That is all best done by cabled ethernet connection.

The DVB modulator (or hdmi splitter) solution could work with alternative PVRs when the Foxsat expires, of course.

David Chapman

Not sure what you're saying? Am I to buy the HD modulator and connect in via ethernet cable?
How does ethernet connect to the modulator?
Why install custom firmware when I can use coax, existing magic eyes, existing Humax RCs?
Or is your solution just tidier all round as it presumably operates over home wifi?

Rodders53

Humax CF has many useful advantages and is zero cost (other than your time and a small learning curve).
You can fairly easily share files recorded (SD only on existing recordings, but also HD ones recorded after installing Nowsters patch to stop them being labelled 'encrypted') over your local network.
Check out the thread on here about it.

Modern TVs will almost certainly be able to find a media server installed on the Foxsat and be able to watch things as desired. (Other devices may be able to do so as well).

I'd not advise connecting Humax or TVs over home wifi to do this, rather use ethernet cables to the modem/router and extra network switches if required. More reliable connection!

It could also allow one set to show something off the Foxsat while a second set watches a different recording at the same time.

Alternatives are:
1) hdmi splitting using ethernet type cables (as I suspect long hdmi cables won't work - hopefully others will advise more accurately from experience/knowledge) or even via hdmi cables if they'll work requires kit to be bought at not insignificant cost.
Plus some form of remote back (the old link kit would do it over coax).

2) a DVB-T modulator with input via hdmi from ythe foxsat, and output over coax cables also carrying UHF TV. Which also costs money, and has / can reuse your IR links back.

These two solutions only allow all sets to watch the same thing from the foxsat at the same time. Although, obviously, they can watch their own Freeview tuner, inbuilt streaming apps (iPlayer etc.,.), and any other direct connected devices.

The Foxsat will one day die and can't be easily replaced. At which point any replacement box may require one of the above two alternative options anyway, if you still want that. NB it's expected that all 'broadcast' TV watching will be streamed from the internet in the foreseeable future. So the current DVB PVRs will become the video tape recorder of yesterday.

The choice is entirely yours - I'm merely trying to advise of (some of) the options available.

David Chapman

I understand 1 & 2 but it's the CF solution cabling which has me puzzled?

Does the Humax connect to the router, if so, how? Then the router connects to remote TVs by ethernet cable, yes? But how do I control the Humax box via phone/tablet if not over the router's wifi?

You will understand all of this, but I'm not getting the idea at all. Need a simplistic explanation of all the connections. Many thanks for your trouble.

Rodders53

Humax connects to router via it's ethernet connection on back, hear the hdmi socket.

Yes, the CF has a Web Interface (WebIf) software module that is installed on the Humax and that will allow a phone to connect via the router's wifi to the Humax's ethernet connection for 'remote control function' another module you install. The only thing it can't do is bring it out of standby :facepalm: so a good reason for re-using your links and proper remotes as you have them!

I'd urge you to direct ethernet cable connect the TVs for reliability (not via wifi or Powerlines); even though they can work for some. The Humax has to be ethernet cable connected to the router anyway (no wifi capablility). If you go down the CF route.

Read Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 6

No harm will be done to the Foxsat and it can all be uninstalled if you don't like it.

I'd love someone on the forum with more experience of hdmi splitters and/or DVB-T modulators to jump in with more advice for you and kit suggestion/recommendations.