hdmi splitter and switch question for my set up

bo74

Established Member
Reaction score
hello,
i`m wanting to connect my blu ray player (wich has only 1 hdmi out) straight to my tv but also through my amp to tv indipendantly...can this be done with a hdmi splitter or switch?
this may seem strange but i have my reasons for wanting to use just the blu-ray and tv connected with the amp totally turned off.....but also want to be able to use blu ray going thru amp when needed without swapping cables around every time.
if its possible wich type would i need?
thank you.

You could connect the BluRay via Optical Cable if it and the amp have this facility.

Alternatively you just need a 2 Way HDMi Splitter

hello, thanks for the reply,
they both have optical connection but i need to connect the blu ray to tv with hdmi for use with my wireless hedphones as they process lossless audio....just spent a fair bit of money on them for this reason and obviously want to use them for listening to blu rays with dolby true hd and dts master audio,
i will actually be connecting the blu ray to the headphone processor and splitting the hdmi out from processor to tv hdmi and amp....will this deffinitely work with a splitter when the amp is turned off??
thank you again.

There is no reason why it shouldn't work but the only way you will know is to try it

ok thx again...any recomendations of a good 1?:)

will it need to be a powered one aswell?

hello again...this is probably a daft question but i`ve been looking at splitters and it seems some have 1 out and 2 ins and some are the other way around i.e. 1 in and 2 outs, wich way around do i need lol...i`m assuming its the 1 in and 2 out?....even though the "in" will be connected to the "out" of my headphone processor and the 2 outs will be going to tv and other to tv through amp.

Last edited:
A switch has multiple inputs whereas as a splitter has multiple outputs.

You need a splitter with single input and multiple outputs

There is a high probability you will cause ‘confusion’ within the HDCP (encryption) which underpins HDMI when you have a direct connection plus a connection via the AVR to the TV, which may result in the system throwing a wobble.

You will also likely have to be toggling the Blu-ray between different audio modes depending on where you are viewing.

If you list which Blu-ray, AV Amp and TV you have along with how the headphones fit into the system there may be a way to achieve what you want without additional hardware.

Joe

thank you Aclass technology.

Joe, i sent you i private email a few days ago explaining my set up and the problem i was having when connecting through the amp....it was the sony mdr-hw700ds headphones with its own hdmi processor unit,
you kindly explained what the problem was and told me how to connect it up...you think the splitter route is a bad idea full stop?....my amp is a onkyo tx-nr579, blu-ray player is sony bdp-s370, tv is panasonic g20.
thank you again.

p.s. not got around to connecting it up again at all yet but hopefully the way you said will work and i can get on with enjoying the headphones:)

Ideally Sony should have provided a Standby 'PassThru' function the way many AVR's now operate - without that function you need the Headphone processor in the signal path and powered on at all times.

The alternative is a multi input, dual output HDMI switch/Distribution Amp or an HDMI Matrix with Sources connected to the Matrix then separate feeds from the Matrix to the AVR and Headphone processor.

Joe

ok....again thanks very much for your help,
would either of these 2 options above be better or cheaper than the other,
or are they pretty much the same?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom