HDMI Splitter 5.1 audio issue

angeron

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

System comprised of Sony BDPS500 Blue Ray, Sony HTIS100 surround system and Pioneer Plasma with Media Center.

When the Blue Ray is hooked up to the surround system, I can get 5.1 audio, but (due to room layout) i need to have an HDMI feed to the Plasma Media center at the opposite end of the room. So I need an HDMI splitter except that as soon as this is in place the 5.1 audio is now replaced with 2.0 stereo.

I have tried a standard £50 1 to 2 splitter and a more expensive Cypress CLUX-12S HDMI1.3 splitter but still no joy.

Am I mising something here or will 5.1 audio always be stripped out when using a splitter?

Hi Joe,

I can see that it splits the video but will it still preserve the 5.1 audio channels?

Rgds

The problem is your Plasma needs 2.0 PCM for audio, and your bluray player cannot output both 2.0 PCM for your TV and multichannel audio for your amp at the same time. I don't think any splitter currently on the market will help you. Could you perhaps split the output of your amp and run audio via a different method to the plasma?

Hi DWhite,

I hear what you are saying but I think the problem is not that complicated. If I disconnect the Plasma HDMI Feed (so only 1 input and 1 output on the splitter) I still only get 2.0 Audio on the surround amp. Direct connection works but put a splitter in place and it does not. BTW there is no audio requirement on the plasma HDMI feed as there are no speakers attached.

Any other ideas?

Ta

Hello angeron

As standard Octava fit Dynamic EDID firmware (Sync talks to Source) - if that doesn't preserve the multi channel LPCM audio via HDMI (which I'm sure it will) we have an option to fit Static EDID (Switch talks to Source) firmware which usually sorts this sort of problem out.

I have systems working as you require using our Dynamic EDID.

As dwhite says you cant simultaneously deliver 5.1 LPCM (to the AV Amp) and 2.0 LPCM (to the TV) - though our DA ought to give you the option to set the BD player to 5.1 or 2.0.

Joe

Hi JamieS,

What is different from the Octavia product as opposed to the Cypress CLUX-12S HDMI1.3 that would make the difference. i am a bit loath to spend another £100+ to find it still is not working.

Rgds

Hi Joe,

This should not be a problem as I am only concerned about Audio going to the Suppound systems as the Plasma has no audio.

Does this matter?

Rgds

Essentially, it is a simpler device.

The octava device is certainly a good quality option and is likely to do the job well for you.

The downside is that it is costly.

The option I have suggested is more basic, it effectively splits the audio element from the HDMI signal so that you can route it to an AV amp.

It sounds like the ideal solution to your problem so long as your amp has a digital audio input (highly likely that it does)

It is an alternative solution to those suggested so far and should work well for you.

The Sony AV Amp is capable of receiving and decoding 5.1 LPCM via HDMI from a suitable Source.

If the Source is being forced to Output 2.0 LPCM via HDMI by the Sync (the TV) then you would only get 2.0 out of a DA that also has an Optical out.

The problem here is trying to force the Source to Output the 5.1 LPCM over HDMI - once its doing that there is no need for the Optical breakaway.

As before the TV does have a role to play here as its telling the Source to Output 2.0 LPCM - even with no Speakers attached.

Joe

Last edited:
Hi Jamie,

Issue here is that the Sony system will only decode 5.1 via HDMI, not optical link.

Any other ideas?

Rgds

Hi Joe,

I agree with what you say but as per my earlier posting, if I remove the feed to the TV from the splitter, it still only passes 2.0 audio.

Rgds

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Are you switching everything off when you remove your HDMI cable from the splitter to the TV? Perhaps its not re-syncing to the amp to send 5.1.

Hello angeron

If you 'disconnect' the TV with everything live it will still have an effect - as dwhite says you would have to power cycle everything for it not to.

One way or another its down to the Firmware in the Splitter and the Octava unit linked to can work the way you require.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom