HDMi Splitter 1 in 2 out suggestions please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by anibap, Jun 18, 2015.

1. anibap

anibap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Hi,

I need some advice and suggestion on which product to buy for my needs in terms of splitting the HDMI signal. Here's what I have in terms of equipment.

HDMI source devices
    1. Asus laptop with BD drive (not 3d)
    2. BD player (not 3D)
    3. Onlyo TX607 AVR - connected to laptop and BD player and output to my projector only.

Output devices
    1. LG 23 inch IPS display - my main monitor for work and photo editing and watching occasional movies from laptop.
    2. BenQ W1070 DLP projector

HDMI Connections
    1. Laptop to LG monitor (80% of time) - one short HDMI cable
    2. Laptop to Onlyo 607 - I have it connetced to the Onkyo end and keep the other end close to the laptop HDMI port and when I watch anything on laptop --> projector, I swap the cables on my laptop HDMI port.

Now, my need.
    When I am not using the projector, I want to use the monitor as the display and pass the audio (HD audio) to the Onkyo 607 and and listen to songs / HD audio from movies.
    I need a HDMI splitter that can take the signal from my laptop and split it equally (audio and video) so that signal is sent to both monitor and the Onkyo 607. This way I can have the sound always coming from AVR and speakers and I can watch everythjing on my monitor and when I am using the projector, I can turn off the monitor and just use the projector.

I have come across a few products that supports such splitting including the

1. Neet HDMI splitter - Neet® - 2 Way HDMI SPLITTER BOX 1x2 Port - Active: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

2. Duronic HS12 -http://Duronic HS12 2 Way HDMI Splitter Box: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

3. 2 Port HDMI Audio Video v1.3b 1080p 3D Splitter for HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

5. 5Star cables - A UK based company who's owner has a put up a video of the device in Youtube -
    HDMI Splitter - 1 x input to 2 x Output Active...
    . Lookwise, it i similar to 2 and 3 above. HDMI Cables from 5 Star Cables | HDMI Splitter - HDMI Cables from 5 Star Cables

I don't want to spend too much, but don't want something that does not work as I expect. I am not able to choose. My mind says go with the Neet as the reviews are better from a large number of users.

Look forward to suggestions and experience from people who have such splitters in use.

Cheers

Ani

2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Why don't you have all your sources plugged into the amp and then the output of amp into splitter going to monitor and projector respectively ?

In which case any of the above should do the trick. There is no picture quality difference.

Are you monitor and projector the same resolution etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. anibap

anibap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I thought about that. but when I am just using the monitor for computer use and photo editing, I have to unnecessarily keep the amp 'On'. I don't know if the amp can still send the signal on standby mode. Can someone clarify?

Both my Monitor and PJ is 1080p display.

4. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Yes apparently the amp will do HDMI pass through when off so it would pass whatever you watched last through the amp before you switched it off. You might need to enable this in the options for the amp.

That way you shouldn't need to unplug anything unless you want to take your laptop away.

5. anibap

anibap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I am happy to try that, but my laptop is mostly stationary as the laptop screen went bad. I use the connected monitor now all the time. For me, having the splitter at the laptop end makes more sense as I might be using the amp on some other devices connected to another input. Like if I am watching something on my BD player and someone working on the laptop at the same time, I can't have two separate images out of one HDMI output on the amp. But with what I am thinking I can isolate the laptop output from the amp's output and use them both at the same time outputting different sources to monitor and projector.

Hope this makes sense.

In either case I need a splitter that can have one input and 2 output. The purpose of my post was to ask members to suggest me some products they have used and have experience with.

Cheers

Ani

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We supply a range of splitters

HDMI Splitters

Aten would be my recommendation as they are more professional but all comes down to budget

7. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Does that monitor have multiple inputs a quick google suggest that it may have VGA, HDMI and DVI ?

If so then you could actually use two connections either via VGA from laptop if it has it and HDMI to amp then to splitter etc. Or use the DVI input and then have two splitters and toggle the monitor between the inputs to stop you have to disconnect anything

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    HD Audio - that is going to be a serious drain on processing if you are playing a Movie whilst trying to also Edit video!

Laptop - as above if it has a second Video Out use that direct to the Display or possibly consider a USB to ??? Adapter to suit a second Input on the Display.

Distribution Amp (Splitter) - you can't split Video to one Device and Audio to another device using HDMI.

HDMI requires a video signal to allow the Sink (Display, Projector or AVR) to Sync to the signal and then find and decode the audio signal.

Joe