Question HDMI spiltter

conbrue

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 tv rooms back to back with the HDMI cables hidden in the wall and returning to my AV room. In my AV room I have 1 Onkyo amp with 1 HDMI output, the speakers to this are in the front room. in the back room I just have the TV and a soundbar. When I want to watch say Virgin in my back room I have to disconnect its HDMI from the amp and connect it to the HDMI cable for the back room, same applies for anything I want to change room, PS4, Firestick, Chromecast, and laptop. I use a small handy female to female HDMI extender block for this.

Is there a better solution than I am currently using with maybe a HDMI splitter box or a better amp with 2 outputs etc?

Thanks for reading.

Conbrue.

A HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter), HDMI Matrix or Dual Output/Dual Zone AVR could all work for you - the trick is understanding the video and audio capabilities of the two Zones and also how you want to control the system.

Which AVR, Soundbar and Display devices (TV's) do you have?

Joe

Hello, thanks for your reply

My amp is an Onkyo TX-NR535
Front room tv is an old Samsung plasma
Back room tv is an Hitachi 4K
Sound bar is a Philips HTL2163

There is a 2nd zone on the amp but not HDMI

Capabilities - such different capabilities between Zone A and Zone B makes trying to 'share' Sources a tricky proposition.

Sources - which devices must be shared between the Two Zones and which could be more simply replicated by adding a dedicated Source device in Zone 2?

Joe

Hi, all devices currently in the amp will be moved to the back room, everything needs to be available in both rooms.

Ta

'everything needs to be available in both rooms' - playback capabilities is your biggest headache to overcome, if I follow you will have 4K UHD Video plus Surround Sound (Presumably HD Audio capable) in the Primary Zone and HD Video with Stereo Audio in the second Zone!

That then means you have to either toggle the 'shared' Source devices between those Two modes, hope the Sources automatically toggle between those Two modes depending on which system is 'live', limit the Sources to HD Video with Stereo audio or introduce a device which can Input 4K UHD with HD Audio to Output to the AVR plus down convert and send HD Video and Stereo Audio to the Soundbar.

Devices such as a Chromecast and Firestick are often easier to simply add a second device in the second Zone, a Laptop is simple enough to move around so it may just be the Set-top Box which you require to 'split'.

Do you have a budget in mind to make this work?

Joe

Hi,

It needs to cost half the cost of buying a 2nd amp, :)

A second AVR is not going to work - unless you also add a 4K UHD to 1080p down converter to the Zone 2 HDMI Output of the Dual Zone AVR.

You could be looking at an Outlay of £750 to £1K on a suitable Dual HDMI Output AVR plus down converter.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom