hdmi, speaker, other connection face plates - running cables in the wall

techmob

Hi

i have recently bought a new house so plan on running the cables in the wall so it is nice and neat and to have face plates for the connections

which speaker cable is good enough for this job, i don't want to spend lots of money but i want something that will do the job. also where to buy the speaker sockets?

i will need between 3- 5 m hdmi cables to be run between sockets in the wall, would this cable be ok 5m HDMI Gold Cable Lead HD High Definition PS3 16 feet on eBay (end time 27-Dec-10 21:31:06 GMT)

what other face plates should i consider

i have the following

plasma (2x HDMI)wall mounted
amp with 5.1 speakers but will probably put other sockets in position in case i want to upgrade
ps3 - HDMI to AMP
xbox360 - HDMI to TV
wii - Component - AMP
HTPC - HDMI - AMP
Sky HD - Component - TV
dreambox - HDMI - AMP

i was thinking of having the plasma wall mounted and then sockets behind the tv for hdmi, the tv currently has 2 hdmi sockets but i was thinking of putting 3 or 4 hdmi cables and faceplates there in case i get a new tv with more hdmi?

can you do that without loosing quality, effectively run hdmi cables joined? as that is what would be happening with faceplates, would it not?

where i would be housing my other equipment, amp, sky, game consoles etc i would have on the wall there the other end of the sockets then i can plug directly into the equipment with shorter cables, would this pose any problems?

should this be the way i should do it?

i don't want cables everywhere

thanks

BurgerIII

I just got 2 five metre cables off ebay for about a tenner each, im sure the ones you have linked above would be fine, but the ones I got were HDMI 1.4, while your at it I would say you may as well spend a bit more and make sure they are 1.4, because (as far as I'm aware?) thats the current highest spec, and allows for things like 3d in the future. could be overkill, I dont know, but for a bit more you may as well.

I was also advised to run a Cat6 ethernet cable as well.

techmob

Hi mate

any more tips?

i have never done this before and i have been reading but still not 100% confident about it. i thought about cat5e because 10gb seems way off as 1gb has only just taken off.

have you got a patch panel or have you just terminated each end of the cat 6 or are you running them into wall sockets etc?

have you got a link to the hdmi you bought?

thanks

BurgerIII

This is the one I bought 2 of:

5M HDMI v1.4 HQ OFC 3D 4K x 2K 1080p GOLD CABLE LEAD on eBay (end time 06-Jan-11 19:06:06 GMT)

Really dont know if its any good though, going to see when it comes in the post, it just seemed to be around the cheapest 5m 1.4 HDMI lead I could see that was from a UK seller. its showing £12 but the one I bought was £10.

Im pretty much in the same position as you and posted a simillar thing not long ago, my wall is currently stripped back to the brick and im going to be doing it all over the next few weeks.

The think is I was just going to run a single HDMI cable, as everything goes through my amp which has plenty of inputs, then HDMI out to the tv, but I was then advised to run at the very least 2 HDMI and a Cat6/Cat5e cable (the one I got is just terminated at both ends, no faceplate)

Im not planning to install faceplates, as I want to run trunking that I can feed cables through if necessary, however I think as long as you have HDMI to the tv, and you have an amp, I cant see what else you are going to need in the near future, plus the faceplates look really nice.

kex1889

Guys,
Installed a new 50" 3D Samsung for a customer a couple of weeks ago, he was chuffed to see the free Sky HDMI carried his 3D fine! Well he did get to return the overpriced £99.99 HDMI to Comet!
Guys I've never seen an HDMI cable make a difference!!

However I look forward to the abuse I'm gonna get!!
Bring it on.

Kex

cjwood555

N.B. the HDMI rules state that cables should NOT be marketed as 1.3, 1.4, etc, anymore. They should be markted simply as 'HDMI', 'HDMI High Speed' and with or without ethernet.

3D is no higher a data rate than 1080P as all pictures modes use a halved refresh rate. There are no additional lines or changes to cable spec OTHER than the potential for higher data rates in high-speed cables (up to 4K resolution, IIRC).

Chris

Gboardman1959

Guys,
Installed a new 50" 3D Samsung for a customer a couple of weeks ago, he was chuffed to see the free Sky HDMI carried his 3D fine! Well he did get to return the overpriced £99.99 HDMI to Comet!
Guys I've never seen an HDMI cable make a difference!!

However I look forward to the abuse I'm gonna get!!
Bring it on.

Kex
Spot on mate i've never seen an HDMI cable make a differance either:thumbsup:

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Hi

i was thinking of having the plasma wall mounted and then sockets behind the tv for hdmi, the tv currently has 2 hdmi sockets but i was thinking of putting 3 or 4 hdmi cables and faceplates there in case i get a new tv with more hdmi?
I used a double brush plate behind the TV and the same behind the AV unit. The only AV plates I use are on the wall behind the PC and these run under the floor to the TV and AV unit.

One reason why I did not add AV plates behind the TV was the fact that my next amp will have HDMI in and one out and I can also change connections with ease.

Last edited:

techmob

thanks for the replies guys

I used a double brush plate behind the TV and the same behind the AV unit. The only AV plates I use are on the wall behind the PC and these run under the floor to the TV and AV unit.

One reason why I did not add AV plates behind the TV was the fact that my next amp will have HDMI in and one out and I can also change connections with ease.

where did you buy your brushed plates from?

i have just bought some cat6, patch panel, rack so i can put outlets in each room etc.

what else do i need to cater for? i will be having sky and freeview, ideally i would like to distribute that in the other rooms if possible. i read something about a loftbox but i think that works with analogue

i have cctv too which i wouldn't mind having that distributed so i can tune into it in whatever room i am in

what is the best way around this?

also what speaker cable should i get to put in the wall that will be connected to speaker sockets?

thanks

aVdub

Distinguished Member
thanks for the replies guys

where did you buy your brushed plates from?

i have just bought some cat6, patch panel, rack so i can put outlets in each room etc.

what else do i need to cater for? i will be having sky and freeview, ideally i would like to distribute that in the other rooms if possible. i read something about a loftbox but i think that works with analogue

i have cctv too which i wouldn't mind having that distributed so i can tune into it in whatever room i am in

what is the best way around this?

also what speaker cable should i get to put in the wall that will be connected to speaker sockets?

thanks
I got the brush plates from Wickes and the various AV plates were all from Ebay.

phil5366

Banned
Have a look at my thread, click on the link below. This will give you an idea of what to do with your setup, PS3, & Xbox, etc.

BurgerIII

Spot on mate i've never seen an HDMI cable make a differance either:thumbsup:
I'm firmly in the cheap HDMI lead camp as well, everything I have read and heard suggest expensive cables make no difference, however as like the OP I am going to be plastering cables into the wall, for the sake of a fiver, i thought I may as well buy some 1.4/faster/whatever cables, on the off chance that maybe in 1,2,3 or 4 years time there may be some technology that comes along and is able to utilise this, as unlikely as it is, for a fiver i'm not going to lose sleep over it.

techmob

cheers for the replies guys

what do i need to distribute sky+, dreambox (satellite HD), freeview, cctv around the house?

i have read about a loftbox but apparently that is analogue

thanks

cjwood555

This seems to be a very common question. I'm dong a simple one tomorrow, so will take some snaps and do a photo guide

Chris

cjwood555

Well....it was going to be simple one, but for the customer not wanting any holes and all the partition walls being capped-off, and it being a 3-story town house with no loft.....! Have to go back another time so will do photos then.

Chris

Trending threads

Latest news

BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published