HDMI source encode to lan

leecavturbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to encode HDMI to my local LAN. so I can watch in my tablet.
Not interested in streaming to wan.

Whats available

You dont encode HDMI onto a LAN.
You can get category cable to carry a HDMI signal, but thats not the same thing and wouldnt be much use for a tablet in any case.

What exactly do you want to do?
Going by your sig, is it a case of wanting to access content from your nas on your tablet?
If so, what content and what model is your tablet?

No I want to stream HDMI content ( bluray ) to tablet.
Why can't you get HDMI source to lan? My IP camera has an IP address I can log into and see so why not an encoder for regular hdmi? Hell I can get a device and stream hdmi to the web very cheaply so that surely has to do more work to encode and get out to wan than getting to just lan surely. I could go out to wan and back but you need a ISP and you get inherent lag!

Why can't you get HDMI source to lan?

Why ....
I: from a Blu ray player , thats protected content and it would be illegal, any devices you do find are not officially supported and of low quality.

2: The bandwidth is huge , up to 18gbps , it cannot go directly to LAN as the signal is TMDS not TCP/IP and a huge amount of live encoding/conversion would have to take place , its not possible without considerable effort , any box capable of this is going to cost to do the job well.

Its nothing like an IP camera , those are designed to supply compressed video over LAN at much lower bandwidths.

Yes you can stream live to the web from cameras , doing so with Blu ray is definitely illegal though.

Decent gear to send quality streams live to the web from HDMI equipped cameras are not cheap.
Legality is not an issue in this case because it is assumed that from a camera its your own original content.

If you want to watch Blu ray content on your tablet , rip your content to your nas , and stream from there , its much much easier and cheap to do.
You'll have to google how to do it.
Discussion about bypassing Blu ray HDCP copy protection is not allowed here.

Bluray was bad example , but let's just say a HDMI source, and it doesn't need or even want it stream outside of lan

Bluray was bad example , but let's just say a HDMI source, and it doesn't need or even want it stream outside of lan

The answer is the same for any HDMI source.
You dont decode and render source material to a live HDMI stream and send it over a LAN, the bandwidth is huge and most LAN,s cannot handle it.
The most common LAN in the home is Gigabit, even 1080p on a Live HDMI feed is at least 3 times that .... for 4K it is up to 18 times that.

It is very common these days for people to stream content over their LAN, but you stream the original data in its compressed container, i.e. ISO, MP4, MKV, or whatever container your content comes in, to a device that then unpacks , decodes, and renders the live stream over a HDMI interface to a screen.

(In the case of your tablet, you get your content into a format suitable for streaming, then get an app like VLC and play it from your network, the app does the decoding and rendering on your tablet.)

You dont send the actual Live Stream over the LAN, that would be a horribly inefficient way to do things.
Note: this is impossible in any case, you have a Gigabit network , one single live HDMI stream is a minimum of 3 Gigabits....you stream original packaged content, NOT a Live HDMI feed.

Note 2: Nobody sells content in an MKV package, but this is a very popular container for home ripping your own content for storage on a NAS or computer. Google a program called " makemkv"

Last edited:
If you want to stream from an HDMI source, get a gaming streamer and set up a live streaming account on Youtube. You can stream at 1080p on a 6mb connection and then set the connection as private or unlisted. You then just run youtube on your tablet. I use one of these: AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable C875, 1080p In Game Capture and PC Free Mode to stream live cameras on events. Quality is very good - Sky TV quality is quite possible on a 10mb connection.

If you want to stream from an HDMI source, get a gaming streamer and set up a live streaming account on Youtube. You can stream at 1080p on a 6mb connection and then set the connection as private or unlisted. You then just run youtube on your tablet. I use one of these: AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable C875, 1080p In Game Capture and PC Free Mode to stream live cameras on events. Quality is very good - Sky TV quality is quite possible on a 10mb connection.

Very popular with gamers , who want to capture their own gameplay with commentary and broadcast , all the box does is capture the live stream and convert it to mp4.
A lot of the newer graphics cards have this functionality built in.

For watching your own media , you dont need the likes of this box , you can convert your media to mp4(or any other format) and store on NAS or computer for use on home LAN without spending anything.

You can only stream 1080p in a compressed format using a suitable compression codec (say H264/AVC). As already posted HDMI out has decoded the compression codec and outputs a uncompressed stream at a bitrate a LAN cannot possibly handle let alone the upload speed your isp gives you. The device you have is a real time mpeg encoder.

My 70Mbps download Virgin service manages 4.62Mbps upload.

You say 1080 can't be sent over lan , raw yes but isn't that what an encoder does? Compresses it on the fly to some container eg H264. Then packaged to lan. Fwiw there are plenty of hardware to do this so the tech to get HDMI in 1080 over lan is already here today! ?.
But the only limitation I see is you need a hardware decoder at the other end to get back to HDMI. But I'm not wanting it back to HDMI so it should simply be point my tablet to stream IP addy and tablet with correct codec ( eg vlc ) job done?
With a PC I can create a stream that is simply a IP addy on lan and live HDMI content is streamed but I just want a dedicated box to do that.
The HDMI source is a live source ( TV ). So can't be ripped etc

You say 1080 can't be sent over lan , raw yes but isn't that what an encoder does? Compresses it on the fly to some container eg H264. Then packaged to lan. Fwiw there are plenty of hardware to do this so the tech to get HDMI in 1080 over lan is already here today! ?.
But the only limitation I see is you need a hardware decoder at the other end to get back to HDMI. But I'm not wanting it back to HDMI so it should simply be point my tablet to stream IP addy and tablet with correct codec ( eg vlc ) job done?
With a PC I can create a stream that is simply a IP addy on lan and live HDMI content is streamed but I just want a dedicated box to do that.
The HDMI source is a live source ( TV ). So can't be ripped etc

You would save a lot of time by being clear on exactly what you want to do.
You say TV?
What content?
Are you talking about Sky, Virgin or just FTA or Freeview?
Are you talking about content coming from smart apps?
Also , what is your tablet model number?

Surely the source is regardless it's HDMI format i want to stream however for clarity Freeview to Nexus 10

Surely the source is regardless it's HDMI format i want to stream however for clarity Freeview to Nexus 10

As above, there are boxes that grab a live feed from cameras and games, but these wont work with HDCP protected premium content.

So Blu ray content or content from premium subscriptions like Sky, Virgin, BT or their equivalent wont work, and re broadcasting those would be illegal in any case.

There are apps available such as "TV player" for watching freeview content.
TVPlayer: Watch Live TV Online For Free - Apps

Finally , the HDMI port on the nexus 10 is an output not an input.
Its purpose is to hook the tablet to a TV and watch content from the tablet on a bigger screen , it cannot accept content!
As explained above, Live HDMI cannot be carried on a LAN, but even with an encoder/de-encoder set up of some kind , there is no way your tablet can take a HDMI feed. It can only send one.

I know that the HDMI is out only. I want to "STREAM" it to the tablet and hence vlc pointed to a stream. My gopro streams video and I input the addy in vlc. Voilà

I know that the HDMI is out only. I want to "STREAM" it to the tablet and hence vlc pointed to a stream. My gopro streams video and I input the addy in vlc. Voilà

Already answered.
Same restrictions on re-broadcasting.
If its HDCP protected its a non runner.

Andy I get the protected content but let's "pretend" my source is not protected or has been stripped. Now how.
Rtmp suggests once in a container it can be given an local Addy so simply any device on same network with stream app once stream Addy is setup can receive the stream?

What's funny hippo ? What do you know? Most ppl are getting hung up on trying to get 15-17gbps or what ever the data rate is but clearly that's never going to work but if the HDMI content is compressed on the fly and there are many devices to achieve this but then what I'm after is that compressed video put into a video container as a stream on the local Lan. Clearly it can be done proprietarly such live stream devices will send HDMI to a server for redistribution over the net. All I want is to not send out to Wan and back. If it can be containerised sent out and back we must be able to redivert it or tap into on the same lan surely.

Lee

Andy I get the protected content but let's "pretend" my source is not protected or has been stripped. Now how.
Rtmp suggests once in a container it can be given an local Addy so simply any device on same network with stream app once stream Addy is setup can receive the stream?

If you want to stream Freeview/Freesat over your LAN all you need is a IP TV box connected to your router with an aerial or satellite dish connected. Your router needs to be upnp capable.

Terrestrial

Last edited:
If Freeview or freesat use an Enigma2 box, it will then stream the content and you can either use one of the many apps to watch it or use Kodi, no vieo capture required and you can even change channels

What's funny hippo ? What do you know? Most ppl are getting hung up on trying to get 15-17gbps or what ever the data rate is but clearly that's never going to work but if the HDMI content is compressed on the fly and there are many devices to achieve this but then what I'm after is that compressed video put into a video container as a stream on the local Lan. Clearly it can be done proprietarly such live stream devices will send HDMI to a server for redistribution over the net. All I want is to not send out to Wan and back. If it can be containerised sent out and back we must be able to redivert it or tap into on the same lan surely.

Lee

What is the point of taking a compressed data video and audio stream from satellite or terrestrial, decoding it to produce an uncompressed video and audio data stream and then re-compressing it again to send over a local network (a HD source will be around 10Mbps) ? All you need to do is transmit the original already compressed data and decode it in the device used to view it remotely.

That's what happens when you stream from a digital pvr hard disk or a streaming source like Netflix to your network, to view on anything on your home network.

If you want to stream Freeview/Freesat over your LAN all you need is a IP TV box connected to your router with an aerial or satellite dish connected. Your router needs to be upnp capable.

Terrestrial
Thanks Graham that's nearly there . only restriction is its not going to be my main PVR with HDMI out to my TV.
If packaged as a HD PVR with traditional HDMI out and IPTV. Then that would be the daddy. As it is I still can't get top gear that's recorded on my PVR streamed to a tablet. Well I can but I have to send it out to wan to a server to only pipe it straight back to me. That's the middle man I want rid of. If my HDMI source can be compressed sent out of my Max 5mp upload via ISP and back all in HD then Christ we surely can just change the wan server address to a local server if need be but within the lan.

Thanks Graham that's nearly there . only restriction is its not going to be my main PVR with HDMI out to my TV.
If packaged as a HD PVR with traditional HDMI out and IPTV. Then that would be the daddy. As it is I still can't get top gear that's recorded on my PVR streamed to a tablet. Well I can but I have to send it out to wan to a server to only pipe it straight back to me. That's the middle man I want rid of. If my HDMI source can be compressed sent out of my Max 5mp upload via ISP and back all in HD then Christ we surely can just change the wan server address to a local server if need be but within the lan.

You need to change your pvr.

You just need one that has a built in DLNA server without the artificial restrictions imposed by Sky/Virgin/Sky/Freeview and Freesat.

A Humax HDR-FOX-T2 (secondhand - now out of production) with the free custom firmware add on can stream all recordings as you want. Premium content encrypted at source is a different kettle of fish. Sky-Q has the capability to view remotely using the mini-boxes.

Other than that legally you need to just pay for the appropriate streaming service. Top gear on Amazon Prime can be streamed to a myriad of devices quite legally.

Other than that want you want to do is illegal, as the only way to get Top Gear legally is download it legally to a mobile device with amazon prime installed or stream it directly.

Will that PVR stream the live stuff too?

Hmmmm looks like I'll just have to use the out to wan and back route £150 for the hardware but free there after has 30s delay but I'm looking to eliminate echo's anyway

Last edited:
Will that PVR stream the live stuff too?

Hmmmm looks like I'll just have to use the out to wan and back route £150 for the hardware but free there after has 30s delay but I'm looking to eliminate echo's anyway

It will stream an instant recording a few seconds behind real time (chasing playback).

I got the hdr t2 , got the custom firmware in but can't find how to play a file that's currently recording

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom