"HDMI Sound Not Supported" Message...

antilles

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do i get this message from my Samsung HD850 connected to my Sony KDFE5012AU with an HDMI cable? I thought these HDMI sockets were supposed to be the new scart.....
Any help would be smashing!:lease:
Rich

Well known problem .. No fix as yet. Should not be anything more than a momentary nuisance... Or is it?

i wonder if samsung will fix the problem, or just move on to its new range of players?????
and no longer support the 850/950.

you can disable the messages in the dvd setup, but when you turn off the machine it looses that setting. likewise you can turn off the bright display

if you change the audio out from PCM to bitstream, the audio will carry via hdmi and you shouldn't get the message, but not much use if you want to output bitstream from the dvd player direct to a 5.1 amp

you either turn off the message or live with it otherwise. there is no firmware fix and as the 860/960 models are due out, i don't think they will bother. a number of people have reported the issue to samsung, so they know about it

Bum....you'd think this would be a fairly easy fix. I am aware that you can turn the messages on/off...it's just, i don't think it should be necessary.
If i've got an HDMI TV and an HDMI dvd player, surely EVERYTHING should be compatible? The silliness of these annoying bugs is to close to the realm of P.C.'s.

Thanks for your input!

Rich

the error is because most tv's do not have a 5.1 decoder built into them.
the dvd player picks this up and displays the error.
if you've not got a amp attached, then set the sound to pcm instead of bitstream.

Alan,
I've got the dvd player connected to my Sherwood amp for all round DD-EX and DTS-ES goodness...still get the message....
I rang Samsung today and they said that the fault lies with the TV!
So, i'll probably have to contact Sony to get their response to the question, "Why does your HDMI TV not support HDMI audio?"

It's all getting a bit silly innit?

Rich

antilles said:
Alan,
I've got the dvd player connected to my Sherwood amp for all round DD-EX and DTS-ES goodness...still get the message....
So, i'll probably have to contact Sony to get their response to the question, "Why does your HDMI TV not support HDMI audio?"

Rich

Well, I've got mine connected to a Samsung TV, and I get the message. Maybe Samsung's DVD division will blame Samsung's TV division?

antilles said:
Alan,

Rich

go into the dvd players settings and change the audio from bitstream to PCM, this will stop the error message.

clockworks said:
Well, I've got mine connected to a Samsung TV, and I get the message. Maybe Samsung's DVD division will blame Samsung's TV division?

lol...yes most probably.

antilles said:
Alan,
Rich

Samsung is wrong. It's not the TV's fault. It does support HDMI audio if you change it to PCM in the DVD-player. But the TV doesn't of course support 5.1-audio which you are sending it if you have enabled bitstream, and that's why you get the error-message. But then again, you want to have it as bitstream since you have an external amplifier.

So as someone said, yuo'll have to live with it or get a new player. They should make a player where you can choose the audio settings separately for the HDMI and optical outputs.

ZaforZ said:
They should make a player where you can choose the audio settings separately for the HDMI and optical outputs.
There is no technical reason for this not to work automatically if they coded it that way. My Panasonic S97 is set to output bitstream but it detects the HDMI audio connection only supports PCM and automatically switches to PCM for that connection. This is confirmed via the player's "HDMI Status" screen.

Good old Samsung!
A simple problem for them to eliminate with a firmware upgrade, yet they blame everyone else but themselves!
Guess i'll just have to remember to turn off the display EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!

Rich

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom