Question HDMI solution for 4K over Cat6

beedoc

Novice Member
Reaction score
A good friend had a refurb done on his house 3 years ago and the builder/installer installed Cat6 with HDAnywhere XTND2K to carry HDMI from his TIVO to the TV.

He has just changed his previous Panasonic 1080P TV to an LG (C8PLA) 4K model and it is presenting no picture.

We have concluded that the HDAnywhere units do not support 4K and these will need changed. The run is approximately 15m and there is no way to retrospectively install an HDMI cable instead.

It also needs to provide backwards IR.

Can someone recommend a cost effective solution over Cat6 please?

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem! I'll watch out for any more informative replies in here.

'Can someone recommend a cost effective solution over Cat6 please?' - you need to be looking at one of the single CAT units which utilise second generation HDBT which offer 'visually lossless' 4K UHD, most of those carry a price premium at present.

The alternative is to set the Player to 1080p!

Joe

I’d take the ‘uncompressed’ claim with a pinch of salt - HDBT lacks the bandwidth for uncompressed full bandwidth UHD.

The unit may we’ll work for you and it’s compression may not be an issue - you will have to try it out.

Joe

Thanks Joe. If nothing is available at low cost (sub £200) then I'm looking for some pointers of extenders with a good solid reputation that folks on here would expect to perform well for 4K@60Hz over HDbaseT(15m). The units I suggested above seem to have a few poor reviews in terms of reliability/failure rate so would be false economy I think.
Can anyone provide a solution that they know works reliably to save dropping the res to 1080P@60Hz?

Last edited:
You need to be clear about the requirement - first and second generation HDBT can both support 4K@60hz, what you need to clarify is:

Encryption - HDCP 2.2 or 1.4?
Bit depth - do you require 10-bit rather than 8-bit?
Then you get into a whole gaggle of acronym's on the Video and Audio side - HDR, HDR10, HLG, DV, Atmos...

Joe

I don't know the requirement. It will be controlled by whatever the TIVO outputs by default to a 4K LG TV. Was hoping that someone would clarify or recommend without creating more confusion :-(

TiVo - which box and are you happy that there will be no updates to that unit or changes to the system?

Joe

I've don't know what TIVO box it is, I haven't seen it. As for updates I can't comment as I'm not one of their customers however I would hope, perhaps naively, that any forced updates don't break the setup. (Its not clear though if you mean firmware updates or a changeout of kit). I came on here in an attempt to help out a friend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/18Gbps-Ext...ressed-4K60Hz-444-18G-4KEX70-H2/dp/B079FG6XWR

What about this? Can see everything stated apart from "visually lossless" or HDBT version 2. Will that suit 4K (60Hz)
Definitely take it with a pinch of salt. I had this problem last year. Wanted 4K hdr 60hz via cat 6 and tried this. It worked well in passing a picture but I’d get colour banding when watching uhd Blu-ray or 4K Apple TV. Just got irritating.
Swapped it out for a optical hdmi cable from Monoprice and it worked a perfectly with no banding and quicker hdmi handshake.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi beedoc

If you are going to help out you have to ask these questions - otherwise a few months down the line you have an unhappy friend who spent a load of £££ on your recommendations.

TiVo - ask the question? Which box and any plans to change it or move away from TiVo in the near future?

System - any plans to change it or add any new devices to it in the near future?

Joe

Hi Joe, Thanks for your help. I wasn't quite sure what you meant. His setup is likely to stay static and its unlikely he will move away from TiVo in the medium term. I also don't expect him to add any more kit in the near future, just wants a single point to point TiVo driving his new 4K tv (across the HDbaseT that was installed during the refurb). He wanted the kit to be out of site away from the room hence it being 15m away in a cupboard. Being non technical he didn't anticipate a problem when he replaced the TV for a 4K version, was probably taken in with the picture quality on display. Its looking increasing like he will grudgingly opt for the HDanywhere XTND4K unit unless someone is able to advise a better option. If that doesn't work he will go with 1080P across his existing setup (assuming that will work) and wait a little for better units for the 4K HDMI transmission.

The installed CAT cables (preferably solid core, CAT6 non-CCA) will work with 1st and 2nd Gen HDBT to carry HD (1080p) or 4K UHD (2160p) so the cables ought to be fine.

TiVo - it would be worth confirming he has a 4K capable box :) The 4K box should be able to output a 1080p signal which will be compatible with the current 'non-4K' extender set.

4K UHD - one of the issues is that service providers are upgrading Firmware which enables new Features and formats which you have to plan ahead for, HDR being the most obvious one at present so if the Display supports HDR and your Source potentially supports HDR you may want to ensure any Extender you purchase also supports HDR.

Joe

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

Are there any 4K UHD HDMI over CATn extenders that work with a switched cabled network?

I have 4K Sky box in one room and 4K TV in another. Both rooms have CAT6, but they are through my network switches, so there isnt a 'single cable' between source and target.

HDMI over CAT devices utilise a few different methods of conversion and transport - the devices with no or little image ‘processing’ will not work via a Network Switch.

Some devices will allow you to send UHD or HD plus IP traffic down a single cable - though again they are point to point not via a network switch.

If rewiring is not an option you can look at HDMI over LAN solutions - though they do require ‘processing’ of the video signal.

Joe

Hi, I read this tread with interest as I am having similar issues running video over cat 6. I have 4 cat 6 to each room back to the AV rack. I have AV Access 4KEX70-ARC-H2 taking 4K Apple TV ( passing through Denon AVR ) approx 15m to TV room over CAT 6. This worked fine for a while and was showing HDR and Dolby Vision content, however after a couple of week of intermittent cutting out through films, the unit stopped sending video. Amozan replaced the 1st unit which resolved the problem, and now a few weeks later same issue. I was convinced it was the unit, however have tried with a pre made Ethernet cable and it works fine. I have 4 cat 6 in the tv room and I’ve tested all with a cheap RJ45 tester and they test fine, but none work and get a link between the unit ? I have a 3rd unit arriving from Amazon today but I don’t know if that will fix the problem. I’m more of a DIY enthusiast that AV technician, so would greatly appreciate any ideas ? Many thanks

A low cost tester will usually only test for continuity and will not confirm what bandwidth the cable will support.

If the Extender works over a pre-made cable of the same length then your cable or cable terminations are the likely problem.

Which CAT cable did you use?

Did you use matching crimp on connectors?

Is it a ‘direct’ run of cable - no wall plates etc

Joe

Thanks Joe, the cable is used was Connectix Cat6 UTP LSOH Single Core. It is terminated into a 4 gang wall plate in the TV room and straight into the HDBT extender via RJ45 in the rack. The cables are run from the rack in cable tray, so about 20 cables bunched together before they divert off to each room. Both ends are terminated with 568B standard. It worked at 1st and I was getting 4K single for a couple of weeks, with increasing cut out during films until now there is no now link in all 4 cables in the TV room, so I’m really confused! Thanks for your help. Simon

Installed cables - are now not testing as good with your cable tester?

I would try unbundling one of the cables from the faceplate, terminated with an RJ45 jack and put that straight into the HDBT RX.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom