HDMI signal through 50 feet Cat6 cable , from mobile it is ok but from Laptop , no signal .

Azizur

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi , I recently bought a rj45 to HDMI TX and RX ( converter without power ) . I joined them with a 50 feet long cat6 cable . When I connect from the laptop to the projector , it shows only 1920 ×1080 on the down right corner and then a blank screen . Then I try with my Galaxy S9 plus , with a type C to hdmi converter and it is quite ok .
My question is , how can I transmit data from my laptop to the projector with this cable ?

Which HDMI over CAT Extender are you using?

Is 1080p your ideal Output from the Source (Laptop)?

The usual problem is your Laptop needs to ‘see’ the EDID from a connected Display to keep the HDMI Output active and the Extender is likely not passing EDID from the Display to the Laptop.

Unless you can change that requirement within the Laptop settings you require a device which can ‘spoof’ the EDID and present an ‘always on’ signal to the Laptop.

You can install an HDFury DR HDMI between the Laptop and the Extender TX - HDFury Dr HDMI - The Media Factory

Joe

16481840405407701300190338307776.jpg

Which HDMI over CAT Extender are you using?

Is 1080p your ideal Output from the Source (Laptop)?

The usual problem is your Laptop needs to ‘see’ the EDID from a connected Display to keep the HDMI Output active and the Extender is likely not passing EDID from the Display to the Laptop.

Unless you can change that requirement within the Laptop settings you require a device which can ‘spoof’ the EDID and present an ‘always on’ signal to the Laptop.

You can install an HDFury DR HDMI between the Laptop and the Extender TX - HDFury Dr HDMI - The Media Factory

Joe
Thanks for your in details reply . I am using a simple hdmi extender which has no external power options or EDID options . My laptop's display settings is 1366×768 . I will try again after purchase the middle device . I think it will solve my problem . Thanks again.
Azizur Rahman

‘Passive’ Extenders are never a great idea - they need power from somewhere.

In addition to the EDID problem your laptop is unlikely to be providing the power the Extender requires to operate - the HDFury device I linked too will try and provide a stable 5v to the Extender.

Personally I’d never use the passive device if I want a reliable system.

Joe

Thanks , now I realized the problem . In fact , I have to transmit the video signals 600 feet away , in a medical college from OT to their hall room and I use a coaxial cable and it can transmit very good video , direct from camera to projector , in between there is no connectors or amplifiers.
And now for the first time I am experimenting with these passive connectors and it was just an experiment . I think if I use fibre optic to HDMI extender I will get very high quality 2k or 4k video at a longer distance . From your discussion I get a lot of directions to do my job properly .
Thanks again .
Azizur Rahman

600' is a long run :)

Fibre is a good option if you have the budget and can install, terminate and protect the cable.

Another option to consider would be HD or UHD over LAN - that is also very scalable so extending the system becomes very simple and much more cost effective than Fibre.

We supply and instal a lot of HD and UHD over LAN systems by Octava Inc. for Sports Bars, House of Worship and Education settings, happy to introduce you to the product manager in Atlanta.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom