• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI signal spliting then switching

Bad Ju-JU

Standard Member
Due to Denon moving away from Video Select (consumer feedback) I have discovered that my new amp’s Network function cannot have a different video stream. As a by-pass I am thinking of taking the HDMI from the SKY box and putting it into a HDMI Splitter, from which one output will go to the AV receiver and the other into an HDMI Switch. I am also planning on doing the same from the Blu-ray player. The SKY and Blu-ray HDMI’s into the Switch then will have one output taken to the second HDMI input on the TV. I’m still planning on having another HDMI from the AV receiver to the first HDMI on the TV.

So operationally, when I’m watching TV, it will be selected to HDMI 1 and it will show either SKY or Blu-ray, depending on the selection of the amp (kinda how it is now but without the signal going through a Splitter). However, if I want to select Internet Radio on the amp and loose video I can then select the TV to HDMI 2 and that will receive a signal from the Switch from either SKY or Blu-ray. Which means I can stream music and still have some background visuals.

I understand many of my fellow AV members will be thinking it’s overkill and could cost £100, however, this question is only about the HDMI signal, will it hold up being ran through a splitter then ran through a switch? I’m considering using NEET’s splitters and switch as they get good reviews and both can be self powered and all equipment will be located in one place.

logiciel

There's one principle and one practicality here.
HDMI doesn't like being interfered with in any way, which includes splitting.
Sky machines' HDMI especially dislikes the idea.
Some people have succeeded, others have failed completely.
The more you spend on the devices the more likely you are to get success, but it's not guaranteed.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom