HDMI signal extender???

Jarvaloso

Standard Member
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone as any opinions on HDMI signal extender, QED do one for 110quid.
I'm haveing a reshuffle of kit and moving the electroninc to the back of my room, I reckon once the cable is hid under the skirting with plenty left to comfortably reach the telly ans the HD box I might be looking at around 15 metres...do people reckon they'll be much loss in signal and if so is it worth investing in a signal extender...or do people think these are just a gimmick to cream us out of our hard earned cash...also what do people reckon of cables just seen some 5m qed SR reference for sixty quid, maybe that connected to another 10m of the same??Or if I'm going for that long is it worht investing in something a bit newer like Chords silver active?????

paul77

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Any half decent 15m HDMI cable is going to use 24AWG cable stock which is none too pliable.

If you have some tight bends to negotiate you may want to consider 2 x CAT6 cables plus the required Transmitter and Receiver - HDMI Ethernet extender. Transmit 1080i HDMI to 300ft

15m HDMI cables (even Amplified) are Standard Speed so have been certified at 1080i or 720p - choose carefully and you can achieve 1080p over a 15m HDMI cable; though not all 15m cables will be trouble free at 1080p.

HDMI Cable - Silver Serpent

Joe

Jarvaloso

Standard Member
Hey Joe.
Thanks for the input, I found some cable by infinius which is a UK manufacturer which is 1.4 and 3D cert. Do you think a 10m with 5m connected by a booster will be a good choice?? I can probably get the booster/amp to be external from the wall so can be replaced if need be to support 3d when it comes out??Or do you think the ethernet is the way to go??

Sorry paul..but if I'm going to "future proof" myself I need something thats going to support all the new stuff like 3d which apparently pretty much all cables arent able to do at the minute??

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
For 3D compatibility HDMI.org are advising that you install a High Speed HDMI cable.

At 15m I'd be tempted to go with a decent quality Standard Speed HDMI cable (which is known to support 3D) plus 2 x CAT6 as your back up if you do hit any physical or bandwidth problems with the HDMI cable.

HDMI cables are not the most rugged cable assemblies and its not unusual to find folk who have physically damaged the end of a cable - it is nigh on impossible to repair an HDMI cable in the field.

Running 2 x CAT6 is pretty standard practice as a back up these days where replacing a long cable would be a hassle.

BetterCables have a 15m Amplified cable that we know works with 3D and works at 1080p60 in many installations - HDMI Cable - Silver Serpent

I'd avoid the 10m cable + Extender + 5m cable in favour of 2 x CAT6 plus the required Twisted Pair Extenders - the CAT6 cable is always going to be a better option as you only ever need to change the Transmitter/Receiver if you run into future problems not the cable.

HDMI cables are not 1.4 compliant - in fact HDMI.org have gone to great lengths to say cables must not be marked/marketed as 1.4; HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Trademark and Logo

Joe

Jarvaloso

Standard Member
Thats outstanding Joe.
So if I did go for the CAT6 and the reciever transmitter the cable itself will support 3D and I'll just have to upgrade said transmitter and reciever when it all come about and i decide to go that route...mega.

Also do you know any companies that sell this type of transmitter and reciever in the U.K???

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Jarvaloso

Yes with at least 2 x CAT6 installed your then looking for 3D feature support on the Transmitter and Receiver pair you install.

Currently all available Transmitter and Receiver pairs will be running HDMI Rev 1.3 chip sets so don't automatically support Blu-ray 3D - that said we can run SKY HD 3D over the Octava gear we work with and time will tell how we get on with BD 3D (were testing our switch gear at present with Samsung 3D compatible BD and TV's and its been positive so far).

Joe

Jarvaloso

Standard Member
Well Joe, you truly are a gentleman and a scholar, definitely think that the cat6 cable with the trasmitter reciever is the way to go then.

I was actually clueless to this concept but since looking into it seems far more practicle than using extended lenghs of HDMI, and a lot simpler to future proof, and needless to say cheaper.

I've also found a several U.K dealers of such kit aswell.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom