HDMI Settings

Hostile 17

Standard Member
Reaction score
So thenn, Elite owners. What TV settings are you all using with your new HDMI enabled 360s? I still can't get mine to look as good as VGA.

I can't see a difference between 720p and 1080i on the plasma but I'll do some more testing later.
I'll also check which is best on the projector.
That has a faroudja chip in it so does a much better job of scaling to 720 than most other devices.

I suppose it depends what the 'native' output resolution is.
Does anyone know what it is?

As for the "Reference Levels", I can't see any difference no matter whether Standard, Intermediate or Expanded is selected.
There's nothing in the manual about setting up the display so I'm going to have to search online to see what the various settings do.

I don t know wich tv or lcd you using,but on mine[sony bravia 40w2000]look sharper and color and black are much better.Before i have to play with the setting every time i was playng with a different console[wii and ps3].Is thumb up for me:clap::clap::clap:

I've set mine 1080p on a Bravia 40w2000 but had to connect scart cable to set 60hz to play live arcade games!?

I've set mine 1080p on a Bravia 40w2000 but had to connect scart cable to set 60hz to play live arcade games!?

Any game that requires 60hz made (and was made with the original XBox 360 SDK) will need to have the "internal setting" set to 60hz, that's why.

***. I'm confused. I'm set to 720p but apparently not 50hz. Someone explain. :confused:

sorry, just a quick one for you guys who have them,, but does the hdmi cable allow hddvd to output at 1080P now?

was thinking of starting a thread until i saw this.....

I have a Tosh 37" LCD (see my sig), so using HDMI with the Elite and the picture was waaaay to dark.
Previously i had been happy with all my settings but i couldn't play while it was like this.
So i popped in The Phantom Menace DVD to use the THX setup.
You know the brightness setting screen, so that when you see the THX logo with the shadow? Just keep adjusting the brightness until the shadow disappears......well i can't see the THX logo at all never mind the shadow unless i slap the brightness to 100% :eek:

Whats that all about :confused:
I've turned up the brightness in the meantime just so its playable but i'm not happy with it.
Anyone else have this problem :confused:

Oh settings are 1080i, enhanced ;-)

Will do. odd that some people are posting no difference between the settings :confused:

Previously my Premium was via VGA and i was chuffed to bits with the settings on that :(

I can see what you're saying, I jumped on Expanded when the update first came out, but over time after playing games like Dead Rising and DO4, you see it's a little overkill (so i've opted for intermediate). Let me know if it helps mate.

360 Elite + Samsung LE32R74

Tried 720p and it didn't look right, there was a mesh water mark covering the whole screen. was visible on dash and in game.

Tried 1080i and it disappeard. Obviously 1080i is the correct setting for my tv??

1080i here only had issues with pes6..

sorry, just a quick one for you guys who have them,, but does the hdmi cable allow hddvd to output at 1080P now?

I can't confirm it personally but that is supposed to be the case. However VGA also allows the HD-DVD player to output 1080p.

360 Elite + Samsung LE32R74

Tried 720p and it didn't look right, there was a mesh water mark covering the whole screen. was visible on dash and in game.

Tried 1080i and it disappeard. Obviously 1080i is the correct setting for my tv??

I'm using the R74 too, got it on 720p atm and it looks **** compared to VGA. VGA was so simple, now I'm back to the 720p/1080i way of thinking.

I've had to set mine to 720p.

I tried to get an image on the projector last night at 1080i but got nothing at all.
The PJ couldn't even sync' to the signal.
Then when I went back to the plasma the settings had somehow reverted to standard definition and there were no HD options :confused:
Odd because Sky HD works fine at 1080i on the PJ so I can only assume it's an issue with the signal from the Xbox.

With 720p though it works fine on both plasma and PJ and as I can't see a difference I'll stick with that.

P.S. Bioshock on the PJ is great if not a little scary... :rolleyes: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom