HDMI RGB or HDMI YCbCr when calibrating a system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kostas13, Sep 2, 2007.

1. kostas13

kostas13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,
    Is there any preference as to whether one should select a device to output HDMI RGB as opposed to component HDMI YCbCr (providing the device supports both - see PS3, oppo 970hd etc), when calibrating a system?

If so what is the compromise (if any) with some source devices which only output HDMI YCbCr (see SKY HD, tosh hd-e1 etc)

My thinking is since most of the digital displays will output anything (over HDMI) as HDMI RGB, it is better to have the source outputting HDMI RGB too (?) avoiding any colour space issues that come from sources mis-matching SD ITU 601 to HD ITU 701 when using HDMI component (think of upscaling/upconverting players here)

My confusion begun reading posts that SD to HD colour space errors only apply to component signals (whether analogue or digital).

Many thanks & Regards,

kostas

2. xxrockmanxneoxx

xxrockmanxneoxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am unsure but I did notice that on my ps3 I had it set to Automatic at first and when loading a dvd or blu ray the loading screen would look grainy. I forced it to RGB and it looked excellent. The black was black. If anyone can explain more information on the RGB and YCbCr please do if we are on the wrong setting.

3. Pulse1

Pulse1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    HDMI RGB is for users who have a DVI/RGB input on their display but the outputting source needs to output the correct video levels for video and not pc levels for pcs :thumbsdow Some HD Dvd and Blu-Ray players are not outputting the correct RGB video levels as they should so you will not get the full dynamic range(Blacker than black) for these inputs :mad: But selecting YcBCr(Component video)gives you the full dynamic range :smashin:

Brian