HDMI Resolution

M

Maximise

I have just recieved my HDMI cable for the 868 and 434 plasma. I have messed around a little with the resolution settings. My question, what is the best resolution for DVD? I currently have it on 1280 x 768 which give me 750 lines however those annoying black bars cannot be removed or can they?

Do you mean the black bars due to the film being in the correct aspect ratio? i.e. a 2.35:1 movie on a 16:9 (1.85:1) screen?

For help with understanding why a movie has black bars on a "widescreen" television, follow this link: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/ -- it has pictures and graphics to aid explanation (and it's more than one page long so follow the page links at the bottom).

StooMonster

Yes! however in lesser resolutions you are able to stretch the picture to remove the black bars for a full screen. I would like to the see the full 43 inch.

but doing that reduces quality.

so are u saying u cant expand the pic if the scaler is used.?

what stops u from setting the screen to cinema mode which zoom the pic?

interesting

i think the pioneer locks the ratio when using the hdmi as the idea is to give the best possible picture quality. If you have spent that kind of money on equipment surely you've done it because you are after the best picture not an extra few inches???

Which side lock the the ratio when using HDMI, the dvd player(868) side or the media box side?

I'm wondering if i use another dvd player such as Samsung HD938 or Denon A11, will it still lock the ratio?

Should i be concerned with the locking ratio thing since i would get black bars at top & bottom? Screen burn that is?

depends if u find black bars annoying. i for 1 would want to expand the pic. not to much but a little to reduce the bars. on my 503hde i think i used cinema mode the most.

as for screen burn it will take quite a long time to affect the screen coz at least the bars are black

Surely screen burn wouldn't be an issue as there is no signal being broadcast in the bar region?
Or is there?

allright brogan you M3 tart ;)

i am not AV technical but a layman could argue that black bars might leave a mark as they are static and adjacent to a moving image (i.e. the signal) so could it be like a contrast effect?

I am sure someone knowledgable will prove me right or wrong:smoke:

you have to remember that black is still being created and so is phosphere temp, so after a long, long time u get burn in.
but i have never seen it

no, for sure. 3-4 movies on the trot with the same ratio might do it , but even then im not sure

Originally posted by Maximise
Yes! however in lesser resolutions you are able to stretch the picture to remove the black bars for a full screen. I would like to the see the full 43 inch.
You spend all that money on buying lovely kit and then you want to distort the picture by stretching it vertically and make everyone look funny shapes? Wouldn't you rather have black bars on 2.35:1 movies than very tall and thin people?

's no accounting for taste. ;)

StooMonster

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom