1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Requirements for the future

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by scarty16, Dec 23, 2004.

1. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I was think about the upgrade options for my AV32R and this got me onto the subject of HDMI v1.1

I think that I am going to need at least 5 HDMI connections

1. Sky Hi-def
    2. DVD (std def)
    3. Freeview
    4. PS3/XBOX2/Revolutions
    5. DVD (Hi Def)

I could even make a case for my CD as well.

Hmm think I may have to wait for this one.

Happy Xmas

Roll On CES

Simon

2. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe HDMI 1.1 does not fully support audio at this time. And everything but your HD stuff will not need HDMI. HDMI is a marketing ploy to get people to upgrade to something 90% don't need. If you are using 720p to 1080p and have dvi output; great use HDMI. DVI and digital coax,accomplises the same thing. Your Sky def and dvd if they have a digital output will work with HDMI. The whole pitch to HDMI is to provide a form of copy protection that cannot be done as well in analog format. We are like lemmings being driven into a net. No clue what we want; but if its the best we want it. Just what I need a bunch of new expesive cable. Yea it eliminates extra cables; but don't get sucked in to buying because its the latest and greatest. We will all get there soon enough, and Hollywood will be there as well. With a digital lock.

3. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,007
    HDMI is needed for Sky's proposed high definition service as they have announced it wont be output without copy protection.

"However, it was when discussing how the HD signal would be delivered from the Sky decoder box to a projector/plasma TV/LCD TV that the bombshell emerged, as Sky stated that the vast majority of HDTV programming will only be viewable if carried via HDMI or DVI connections that support the HDCP digital rights protection system. In other words, if your projector or flat panel screen only has component video inputs or an HDMI/DVI jack NOT compatible with the HDCP system, it will not show the majority of Sky’s HD services."

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Andrew.
    I wouldn't worry much mate...... Devices already exist that take an HDMI or DVI HDCP signal and output DVI without HDCP..... I'd also wager that an HD sky box would have component/RGB outputs as well otherwsie it will have a very small market. People get carried away that HDMI is the best picture but at the end of the day it is just cheaper to impliment properly and copy protection is just paranoid people making things more complicated....

5. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing to keep in mind about HDMI is that it supports (to my understanding) presently only 24 bit colour depth. While 16 million colours sounds a lot, 24 bit means only 8 bit = 256 shades per colour channel. In dark scenes where the colour spectrum is heavy on one channel (e.g. dark blue or green like in underwater scenes, etc.), you still get colour-patching with 8 bit video. Which is one of the reasons why most new projector models including my cheap and cheerful Z3 support 10-bit video processing.

6. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham, I didn't know this was possible. Could you give me an idea where they might be found/someone could learn more? Purely so I can avoid such awful information, as I love and respect HDCP with all my heart. ;-)

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Phil.
    There is "licencing" and then there is "Licencing", it appears that HDMI/DVI HDCP chipsets do have an "enable/disable" option that may or may not be implimented in a particular device (scalers seem the natural place), of course it would be well hidden in a service menu or similar. Later generations of chip sets may have this very useful feature removed but as I own a bit of kit that has this "feature" and have done for well over a year now it is most useful with displays that came out before HDCP became an issue..... Don't ask the name of the bit of kit as it would be unwise for me to comment further and spoil things for the future..... Besides every copy protection method that comes out normally has a way round it released well before it becomes mainstream, which naturally makes me wonder why they bother.....
    Like I said Paranoia rules......

8. Yps

Yps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: