HDMI repeaters

Gaz222b

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Are HDMI repeaters any good or just a waste of money. I'm asking because I've conected my Xbox one through my new Pioneer avr unit then on to my hd projector. At the moment it's 50-50 whether I get a signal. The main Xbox screen will display at start up but when I click on say watching a Blu-ray film or Netflix is suddenly says there no signal. Never had a problem with the same cable when it was directly connected from Xbox to projector but now it's frustrating. Cable length is 12 metres. Would a repeater help? Thanks

Anything more than 6m would run a higher risk of dropouts or no signal, especially if and when coinveying higher bandwidth video. HDMI was never intended to be used to convey signals over long distances. You'd get better results if using hybrid HDMI over fibre for UHD signals or HDMI over HDBaseT using Cat6 for HD video as opposed to using HDMI over conventional copper cables. This is what is more commonly suggest for longer cables runs as opposed to the use of HDMI repeaters.

Your question and those like it are probably better placed here:

Last edited:
12 metres is far too long, you should have a maximum cable length of 5M to ensure a reliable signal. You should also have a high quality premium high speed cable.

Also check the settings on your AVR - are you using the correct inputs, outputs and connections?

'Are HDMI repeaters any good or just a waste of money' - widely differing capabilities of 'Repeater' devices.

In essence your New AVR is a repeater so it would be good to know the actual model numbers of the devices you are using (Source/AVR/Projector), which 12m HDMI cable you are using and which signal formats 'work' and which don't.

Joe

Hi thanks to everyone for there answers. The model I have is the pioneer vsx-534 the projector is the optoma hd25 and the cables are generic high speed. Never had a problem before it's only since conected to the avr.

Hi. I've solved the problem. I bought two six meter decent hdmi cable instead of the original 12 meter and put a repeater in-between them and it did the job. Image comes up with no delay and no signal loss at all. Thanks all for your help.👍

Hi. I've solved the problem. I bought two six meter decent hdmi cable instead of the original 12 meter and put a repeater in-between them and it did the job. Image comes up with no delay and no signal loss at all. Thanks all for your help.👍
Do you mind passing on which repeater you used in the end?

I’ve got a similar issue following a redesign of the lounge. Sky Q and Apple TV 4K into an Arcam SR250 and then 4m KabelDirekt HDMI through the wall to a 5 year old Sony that’s now wall mounted.

I did test the cable runs before the cables were hidden in the wall and seemed fine. Sky Q has no trouble with UHD to the TV and most of the apps from the ATV are fine - Plex and Amazon Prime video.

Netflix has started dropping out every now and again and at times I’m getting faint but irritating sparkles. The Netflix subscription is just HD, not 4K. I’ve tried switching the HDMI between the ATV and the AVR and it seems to make no difference.

A simple in line repeater would be perfect but I know from research that finding the right one can be a bit of a dark art.

TIA

I bought this one from Amazon £17. It's all metal comes with brackets to screw it securely. Works well.
Screenshot_20210203-105711.png
Screenshot_20210203-105711.png

I bought this one from Amazon £17. It's all metal comes with brackets to screw it securely. Works well.
Thanks for the prompt reply - that's one of the ones I had on my shortlist.

There's a comment on the Amazon page that it doesn't support ARC - was this an issue for you?

Wife friendly setup also needs CEC to work too!

My projector doesn't support arc so I use the digital audio cable from my Xbox one to the avr.

If you require a powered Repeater which supports 4K UHD/HDR and CEC passthru have a look at the HDFury Dr HDMI 4K.

Joe

If you require a powered Repeater which supports 4K UHD/HDR and CEC passthru have a look at the HDFury Dr HDMI 4K.

Joe
Thanks Joe. Quite pricy in the scheme of things but cheaper than replacing the current HDMI with a hybrid cable or via CatX Ethernet.

Do you guys have one in stock?

Plenty in stock - just received a shipment from HDF earlier in the week.

Joe

I just don't understand the point of expensive HDMI Cables when were constantly told that they are 'mostly' incapable of transmitting 4K beyond 3-4 meters for instance my new TV with eARC connected is roughly fourteen feet away from my AVR and to wire up any HDMI cable I need at least eight metres, so based on the professional advice given here in these postings I will not receive 4K from the speaker output!??

Premium High Speed certified cables top out at 8m and will work for 4K UHD - though like any HDMI connection some combinations of kit may limit you to using a shorter than 8m passive cable.

Ultra High Speed certified cables are new to the market and currently 3m is the longest option for most manufacturers - they will carry 4K UHD and above.

Active cables, copper, fibre and hybrid fibre, let you go longer than the limits you reach with passive copper cables.

The ‘plan’ with eARC is to make it possible to connect your Source devices via short HDMI cables to your eARC enabled TV and take advantage of the latest high bandwidth video features such as VRR then send full uncompressed audio from the TV to an eARC enabled AVR.

Traditionally most systems have Sources connected to the AVR and often a long cable from the AVR to the TV - that connectivity plan will be tougher to achieve as you upgrade your hardware to take advantage of the latest video formats.

For your 8m run you could consider Fibre or Hybrid Fibre.

Joe

Thanks, Joe for your input, from this I have just bought and received a ATZEBE Fiber Optic HDMI cable quite slim but looks well made however there's just one small issue that is the cable is directional i.e : Source--Display so what would you consider is the Source ? I think its the TV due to the smart programme being transmitted in 4k which will be processed back through this cable via the AVR 4k output to the speakers

All Active cables are directional - put the Display end of the cable to the TV.

ARC and eARC provide a ‘return’ audio channel against the direction the signal would normally be flowing into the TV.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom