1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI ready DVD recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnaalex, Nov 16, 2004.

1. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    :lease:
    First, can anybody tell what, if any, difference there is between HDMI picture quality and progressive scan?

As I intend to buy a Pioneer Plasma that has HDMI, what would be the best DVD recorder (not worried about a HD at this stage) that would make best use of this new “standard”?

Thanks.

John

2. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HDMI is a connection that can carry progressive scan signals so they're not really opposites. The main difference is often between analog component connection and a digital HDMI. The advantage of the latter is that since plasma is a digital display type, using analog connections would imply converting the picture from its digital origin on the dvd to an analogue component signal and then convert it back to the digital domain inside the plasma.

Using HDMI you can have the signal stay in the digital domain all the way and end up having a slightly clearer and sharper picture with less distortion. Technically, the HDMI can also carry audio in the same cable, but I do not know if your plasma can accept audio this way (or if it even has built-in speakers).

But, the first dvd recorder with hdmi is only just about to enter the market (the Pioneer 920) and at a pretty steep price. It includes a HD as well. No doubt, this would be a perfect companion for a pioneer plasma.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Potentially you can have a better picture. In many cases the picture may look worse via HDMI - a badly encoded DVD will look significantly worse on a big screen than via the analogue component input. The other issue is that with all digital connections come Digital Rights Management issues - how much this will effect the end user remains to be seen.

The Pioneer 920 has been delayed a month or so but, as Vanderlay correctly points out, will be the first HDMI equipped DVD recorder. The Toshiba RDXS34 should follow next year at a budget (sub-£600) price. I should imagine Panasonic will have an HDMI equipped offering then given their new HDMI connections on the 7 series plasmas.

4. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    Thank you Vanderlay and Rasczak!

I may now hold off on buy a DVD recorder and stick with my old Sony for a ferw months.

Regards

John :thumbsup: