• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question HDMI Range

skyliner34

I have a 2017 Sony 43XE8096 4K tv. I have a Sky+HD box and a Apple TV 4K connected to a Sony STR1080 receiver which is connected to the tv. Both tv and receiver is set to HDMI enhanced. I have calibrated the screen using the AVS calibration disks and used THX tuneup app on iPhone > Apple TV, both give very very close settings.

I notice when I choose the HDMI range Full on the Sony TV the picture is much clearer, much more detail in the blacks and shadows in HD SDR, 4K STR, and in HDR its actually watchable, otherwise if I leave HDMI range to Auto (which is basically limited) HDR is very dark and I have to up the Gamma.

Is this right?, as I keep reading online HDMI full is not usually a good idea, but I’m not getting crushed blacks or whites at all from all sources.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom