HDMI question with Sony HT-SS1100

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by shamilt1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I output my PS3 ( which I believe can output 1080p)through an amp & speaker package such as the Sony HT-SS1100, with an HDMI input/ output rating of 1080i, will this be the quality that arrives to the TV? If this is the case would I be better connecting directly to the TV with HDMI and just running the sound to the amp by optical? Is there any advantage of running HDMI through the amp, other than giving the possibility of connecting more devices. My TV has 3 HDMI so this isn't an issue with me.

2. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Well, you've pretty much answered your own question...

Passing a HDMI connection through the amp will result in a 1080i picture. So yes, you should connect your PS3 directly into the TV, and pass an optical cable into the amp. There is no advantage of using HDMI, plus the 1100 does not carry 5.1/DTS signals over HDMI.

3. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Welsh Whirlwind:smashin: Which do you think would be the best system - The Sony HT-SS1100 or the Yamaha AV-3101 (hard to find anwhere selling this in black at mo.) or Yamaha AV-4101?

4. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Out of your suggestions I would choose the AV-4101. But if you can up your budget by just a few pound I'd pick the New Sony HTSF1200 (aka HTSF2000) - I have this system and it's an aural delight. Plus it upscales to 1080p and carries 5.1/DTS + LPCM (HD audio) over HDMI - Your PS3 will output this, and something to really think about if your watching Blu-Ray movies etc.

Before you make any decisions fully read my review and posts HERE
    Someone managed to purchase the Amp for as little as £299, it's on sale in Amazon at £336 (HTSF2000)

5. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is that the same amp that is bundled with the HTD-870RSS? If so I've seen it for £425 - I could sell the DVD recorder part ( should get £175 I reckon on eBay) so I get the surround sound for £250!

Just checked your review out welsh whirlwind - I see it is the same amp!

6. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yes, and a fine amp it is. In post 13 'Cyclone32' managed to get a Sony centre to split up the package and sell him the amp seperately, they quoted £229 for the 1200SS, £299 for the SF.
    You might want to try your local centre and see if they'll do the same?

7. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
  8. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Welsh Whirlwind. I have decided to go for the complete package. I have seen it for £425 which seems pretty good. Just wondering if you can help me with connectivity. I have a thread in the connectivity area of the forum asking how to connect all my gear together. As you have this package, how have you got it connected up? This is the link to the thread in the correct part of the forum if you would prefer to answer there. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694043. Cheers.

9. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    No worries, here's fine.

Personally I'm linked up via 2 HDMI leads:

1 out from the DVD Recorder RDRHX870 (which is absolutely brilliant by the way) going into DVD HDMI-IN in the Amp.

Then another out from the amps HDMI-out into the TV set.

Now that is literally all you need due to the players ability to output DTS/5.1 over HDMI,you don't need to run a co-axial or optical connection from the player if you don't want to.

To attach your PS3, just run another HDMI lead from the PS3 into the another one of the amps HDMI inputs, ie the 'BD-in' (it doesn't matter what input they go into really, just may as well plug the ps3 into the BD slot as it's labelled for a blue ray player)
    Make sure you use a HDMI cable for the PS3 as you can then get HD audio via LPCM over HDMI (see your ps3's instructions on how to output this)

Lastly for other peripherals like skyplus, connect those up to the amp via an optical toslink cable, to one of the amp's optical-inputs. Have a look at my review and you'll see the cables I'm using, and I can vouch for their quality.

Anything else you need to know, just ask.

10. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks again. I only have regular sky and was wondering if I connect the Sky box to the DVD recorder with scart, would the DVD be able to pass that signal on through the HDMI cable?

11. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Audio wise, you'd have to link the skybox to the amp section of the package (1200) Does normal sky have digital coaxial out? If so then just link that to the 1200's DC-In and bobs your uncle. If not then use some red and white phono leads to connect the system to the amp.

12. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. If I connect the Sky box to the DVD recorder with scart, would the DVD be able to pass the picture on through the HDMI cable?

13. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you know the answer to my last message Welsh Whirlwind - if you can tell me this I think I have it all figured. Just leaves me the guys in the DIY section to pester!

14. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Shamilt, I not too sure on this one unfortunately as I don't have Sky. But I don't see why not... The manuals not entirely clear on this subject either. It explains to connect to Line 1 input on the recorder and set up 'Guide plus' etc. Then there's a seperate section which shows you the various video outputs you can use, HDMI being one of them. This question would be best asked in the DVD Recorders section in the (Huge) RDRHX870 forum HERE.
    Someone should be able to give you a definative answer pretty quickly. :smashin:

15. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Yes.

16. shamilt1

shamilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the help ( especially WW). I am going to order some AV gear now!:thumbsup:

17. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Let us know if you need any more help when you get your kit. :thumbsup: