HDMI question. No sound from DVD to Surround Sound kit.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Olly66, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Olly66

Olly66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have had a 12"portable tele for the last ten years. Last week I bought the Sony 32" D Bravia TV (seems great), the Sony DVD/Hard Disk 250GB recorder and the HT-SS1100 Home Cinema thingy!! Put it all together and WOW!

But I have a techie question:

1. All three bits of kit have HDMI sockets, no idea what version 1.2 or 1.3, but to get sound from the DVD into the SS kit I need the separate digital orange cable ot NO SOUND! Now I have spent £20 on each HDMI cable to plug DVD into SS kit and then on to the TV but it can't send audio!! Anyone know why?

TIA

2. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Don't know about your specific models but while hdmi can carry everything up to hd video and audio and more, not all equipment supports audio in or our by hdmi. Some equipment doesnt do it all others just do stereo and the top kit does everything, chances are sony simply haven't bothered putting multichannel audio by hdmi into anything but the latest top of range kit as it really isn't necessary as there is no audio your current system has that can't be sent via optical or coaxial 5.1.

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    andy is right some amps dont carry sound through HDMI and im afraid your HT-SS1100 is one of them,its basicly a pass through for picture only:(
    so if your trying to get sound from your dvd you will need to use a coax cable and if your trying to get sound from your tv it needs an optical(im sure it has optical out)but that is only for the freeview channs,if you have sky or virgin then again its optical:smashin: