HDMI protocol in cables ????

zeiter

Standard Member
I know there are diffferent HDMI protocols from 1.1 to 1.3 a or whatever, but does it exist in HDMI cables, or it's BS? A salesman said I have to change my HDMI cable to new 1.3a to get5 advantage of new product ??? Thanks.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello zeiter

In theory all HDMI cables will work perfectly well between an HDMI v1.3 compliant Source and Display.

In practice not all HDMI cables are created equally so the only way to guarantee everything will be fine is to install a cable that has been tested as being HDMI v1.3 compliant.

If your current cable is easily accessible and not buried in a wall/ceiling then stick with what you have and if you run into problems then swap it out for a v1.3 compliant cable.

Joe

zeiter

Standard Member
Thanks Joe, so they do exist V1.3 cables, and if I understand correctly, should be mentionned on package or some way. Thanks for info.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello zeiter

The way it works is that a Cable assembly Manufacturer submits a cable to HDMI.org (or one of its testing centres) for a Compliance test - they can choose what level of Compliance (read Cost) they want to achieve.

A Cable that is badged as v1.2a compliant may happily pass the v1.3 Test - its just that its never been submitted to it.

There are numerous Cable assembly manufacturers now supplying v1.3 Compliant cables - some have been doing so for the past few months; see http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3

Joe

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Some cables were produced before HDMI 1.3 was ratified; they could be perfectly good for it but just not able to be tested that way.
The electrical connections are, of course, identical.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom