HDMI, progressive scan or component connection ?

I

IvanP

Please advise :

I have just bought LCD Toshiba 32 WL66. I am now choosing a DVD player. What connection should I choose between DVD and LCD ? The options as I see them are :

1. HDMI
2. Progressive scan component
3. Component (without progressive scan).

(I do not know whether combination HDMI and progressive scan exists). I will play standard (not HD) DVDs. :lease:

P

PinnerFox

Hello.

Based on my limited knowledge - HDMI output is progressive normally but some DVD allow you to change it to interlaced.

However your TV like all LCD is progressive picture by nature i.e it converts interlaced output to progressive so it doesn't matter what the DVD player sends out.

From my experience HDMI picture quality is very good indeed - I have trialled a Sigmatek X510 so speak from experience. But I have a Sony DVP NS76 now; I cannot see much difference in a cheap HDMI player around £60 to anything else upto £100 say.

Component picture quality I think is about 85% of the detail of HDMI.

Scart is now rubbish by comparision.

jay_brown55

I've got the 37WLT66 and a Sony NS76 DVD player connected by HDMI. I'm very happy with it.
Have never tried component as I use that connection for my Xbox360.
The NS76 will output at various progressive and interlaced resolutions (over HDMI), so you can pick what you think looks best. And it's a bargain at around 90 quid.:thumbsup:

I

IvanP

PinnerFox said:
From my experience HDMI picture quality is very good indeed - I have trialled a Sigmatek X510 so speak from experience. But I have a Sony DVP NS76 now; I cannot see much difference in a cheap HDMI player around £60 to anything else upto £100 say.
Thanks for your reply. Why have you moved from Sigmatek to Sony ? And how would you compare Sigmatek X510 and Sony DVP NS76 ? I am considering both models. It looks like Sony DVP NS76 supports upscaling while Sigmatek X510 does not.

P

PinnerFox

IvanP said:
Thanks for your reply. Why have you moved from Sigmatek to Sony ? And how would you compare Sigmatek X510 and Sony DVP NS76 ? I am considering both models. It looks like Sony DVP NS76 supports upscaling while Sigmatek X510 does not.
I borrowed Sigmatek from a friend but I could not get sound out of it to my TV. I never worked out why. It might have been a dodgy HDMI cable. The Picture was great and you can upscale on it as it has an HDMI button on the remote. However upscaling to me doesn't really contribute too much to these DVD players to my eye, its really having an HDMI connection that improves the picture and sound significantly (over SCART).

I did not buy the Sigmatek as I found the setup screens a bit unfriendly however its an unusual design machine may aor may not appeal and its cheap.

However the Sony looks a more smart looking, professional machine and its a very strong allrounder.

Top Bottom