• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI Problems

Val101

Standard Member
hi all

i have recently bought a sony HDR-SR12E, this camcorder comes with no hdmi cable so i got one off ebay, here it is -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=360046005977&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=023

now i've tried and tried to connect this camcorder via this cable to my 50" pioneer pdp 506 xde, and im getting nothing, no picture no sound.

i thought i made the mistake of setting the camcorder to a higher resolution to what my tv could handle, i set the camcorder to 1920x1080 but the tv only goes as high as 1280x768, so i turned down the camcorder, it has four settings, but non work, any ideas wots going on?

i tired my local sony centre for help, but because i only paid £800 off the net and not the £1200 they were asking he wasn't very helpful at all, lol, my local sony centre is in wakefield west yorkshire, the guy was being a total tit, so to wind him up more i asked him how much their hdmi cables cost, he said £30!!!, i told him i got an identical cable off ebay for about £7, robbing bastids

tomd84

Established Member
hi all

i have recently bought a sony HDR-SR12E, this camcorder comes with no hdmi cable so i got one off ebay, here it is -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=360046005977&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=023

now i've tried and tried to connect this camcorder via this cable to my 50" pioneer pdp 506 xde, and im getting nothing, no picture no sound.

i thought i made the mistake of setting the camcorder to a higher resolution to what my tv could handle, i set the camcorder to 1920x1080 but the tv only goes as high as 1280x768, so i turned down the camcorder, it has four settings, but non work, any ideas wots going on?

i tired my local sony centre for help, but because i only paid £800 off the net and not the £1200 they were asking he wasn't very helpful at all, lol, my local sony centre is in wakefield west yorkshire, the guy was being a total tit, so to wind him up more i asked him how much their hdmi cables cost, he said £30!!!, i told him i got an identical cable off ebay for about £7, robbing bastids
sounds like a bad cable to me! Aldi do very good HDMI cables for £5 might be worth popping down to your local aldi and trying one out! Or if you dont have one near you, get one of argos and if it works you will know it is the cable and you could return it under there 28 day warrenty and get one cheaper from elseware!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Val101

HDMI to Mini HDMI cables are still thin on the ground - I doubt many UK shops stock them as yet!

You may have a faulty cable - then again you may simply have to 'enable' the HDMI Output on the Camcorder; lots of devices don't have HDMI set as the 'default' output.

Connect the Camcorder to a monitor via whatever 'AV' cable its supplied with and work you way through the User Manual and set-up Menus using the on-screen graphics; your likely to bump into a setting that enables HDMI Output.

Ensure you stick to a Video resolution (480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p) when selecting the Output signal format on HDMI.

Joe

Mark Grant

Established Member
Aldi do very good HDMI cables for £5 might be worth popping down to your local aldi and trying one out!

Are you sure ?

Very doubtful that Aldi have mini hdmi to hdmi cables.

Probably is a faulty cable that causes the problem, so ask the ebay seller to swap it, after all you paid more than the cost of the cable for just for the post !

Not sure about Sony camcorders, but on my Canon HV30 its plug and play with HDMI, no need to change any settings in the camera for different TV resolutions.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom