HDMI problem with Samsung HD950!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ray, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :oops:

2. splash39

splash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi i have been having similar problems with my samsung HD850. i am not sure wether the Tosh DLP is to blame or the player.

Basically i am now unable to play DVDs via this player as the screen just blinks between black and blue screens the sound of the movie is heard because it outputs through separate phono leads but no picture. I have to say that it did originally work fine for a few days but now nothing.

Interestingly though the player works fine with DVD-r, home burnt movies etc, but try a regular shop bought DVD and nada. :mad:

I am still at a loss if it is the player or the TV,as i have tested the HDMI lead and the player at Comet where it was purchased on other TVs and all seemed fine. Any thoughts??

chris

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    In theory my problem could be the HDMI lead also but as I bought a decent one from Lindy.com I doubt it. Also a cable is unlikely to suddenly stop working an hour into a movie. I'll hook the PJ upto component tonight and try both inputs to the PJ and see if component is still ok when HDMI gives up.

Does you player get hot ? I'm surprised at the heat generated by the 950 .

Ray

4. BillyTheDad

BillyTheDad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a problem whereby if I didn't use my player for a while, the next time i went to use all i got was snow and sound. I soon realised that this was caused because I had both component leads and HDMI leads connected up. Once I removed the component leads it stopped happening. This is because, when you switch the dvd player on it sets itself to determine the output method. Thus, it was getting confused by both leads.

This is what i am assuming as mine works fine now. dunno if this helps or not.

5. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that I have had the problem with and without component connected but I'll make sure to disconnect component leads tonight.

Ray

6. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You've got me worried now- I hope mine doesn't do that as I've not had chance to play a full-length disc on it yet :(

7. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had no problems on my Benq PJ via the HDMI to DVI lead or on my Plasma via HDMI.

8. toonces

toonces
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Im a newbie here and hoped someone could help!

I have just purchased a Samsung 2641BD and a HD850 DVD player, i connect the two with an HDMD : HDMD cable and an optical cable but when i play DVDs i keep getting an annoying message on screen 'HD audio not supported'.... any thoughts on why this is and if there is anything i can do to make sure it is supported??

Many thanks in advance

9. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    it means the display doesn't support multi-channel audio over hdmi. Only way to resolve it, i.e. by getting audio down hdmi with displays that do not handle multi-channel audio is to set dolby digital and MPEG audio to PCM instead to bitstream under setup. This does however mean you loose multi-channel audio out of the coax/optical digital output. If you only use the audio via the coax/optical digital output or analogue RCA then all you need to do is under display, turn off display messages, this will then stop the "HD audio not supported" coming up all the time, but it does also stops any other messages, like play/FF etc being displayed.

10. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Any way where was I ?(before I was hijacked) Ah yes losing the HDMI signal. Well I persevered for a little while hoping it would resolve itself but it has got worse. After about an hour the picture starts to break up (black lines across the screen) and then comes back and then goes again. Pulling the HDMI cable out and putting back in resolves it for a minute or 2 until the pj gives up waiting for a signal.

Anyway Digi-Uk's helpful response was you've had it for more than 28 days so deal with Samsung. I'm sure my contract is with Digi-UK and as the player is only 8 weeks old I think they should take it back. Samsung will only repair rather than refund so I can see this going around in loops for a while when there engineers can't replicate the fault because it doesn't happen within 5 minutes.

Given that DigiUK took my money for this unit in April and then screwed up the delivery process so I didn't get one of the early units and are now showing their customer service is not upto much I think the moral of the story is don't use DigiUk !

Ray :(

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Sorry to hear you are getting grief Ray. I took something back to Richer recently 8 weeks after I bought it - they didn't quibble one bit, offered an exchange / refund or offset against upgrade. IMHO it's the retailer who should be dealing with your problems.

If you do ever get a refund, give the Oppo a try...PJ

12. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi PJ - yes I'm tempted by the Oppo. Been reading the various reviews and your encouraging posts. Almost ordered one last week in anticipation of getting my money back on the Samsung - just as well I waited I suppose. The only thing that the Samsung does sort of ok though is play my SACds - which I enjoy. Not sure what to do about this if I get the Oppo.

Suprised I'm the only one getting problems with the Sammy though.

Ray

13. GrollySTI

GrollySTI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're suprised but I'm thankful! ;)

14. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had all the problems listed in the end I contacted samsung as this appeared to be a firmware fault they in turn on the 15th july 2005 put me in touch with their repair company who took it away no contact was made from the repair company Digital Repairs in sutton ( :thumbsdow ) I made offical complaint to Samsung about them ,On 23/8/05 Digital Repairs told me after 5 phone calls, they had ordered a new board, yesterday (17/9/05) they told samsung they can not repair the unit :confused: Samsung tell me they will now replace it under warranty once they have had a engineers report. I suspect there has been many firmware faults with this unit if you go onto the samsung web site the firmware offered is only the same as was on the failed unit, I fear there is more to this than meets the eye, it's a shame because the concept and price of the unit is a good one....lets hope the matter is resolved soon :rotfl: I would have loved to try a working unit on my panny 500 lcd :thumbsup: still life could be worse I could be staring at one of maws cardboard cutouts of a panny :D

15. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the (depressing) info. Seems I might be in for a long haul so I'm going to order an Oppo in the meantime.

Ray

16. Bal2005

Bal2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I was you and you bought it via your Credit Card, I would first make sure you put things in writing and then state that you will get your credit card company involved as you have bought a product that is not doing what it is suppose to.

Then if they still fail to sort via a new one, write to your credit card company for a full refund, but also make sure you tell them via phone now so you can invoke your rights under the Consumer Credit Card Act stating they are equaly liable under it and also you wish to make a claim for a full refund.

Thanks

17. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

Just been looking at the new DENON 1920 DVD Player just come out with HDMI connection available on the web for £220 coming from them it must be a contender is available in either black or silver

18. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    i have the hd950 - it's fine, just a few niggles with the audio not connected message but managed to turn that off. made it multi region no problem. its just a pain that to change options you have to stop the dvd from playing first, so if your swapping pal and ntsc discs its a bit more mucking about

im considering the denon 1920 myself as empiredirect have it for £182 and they have 1m hdmi cables from qed for about £35 so its not bad at all - its still not mentioned on the uk denon site tho. im interested in the speed changing facility, does anyone know if this means you can play a pal disc at the correct 24fps speed instead of 25fps (i have a pio 505xda plasma)

the sammy did have both hdmi and dvi cables in the box, it doesnt look to bad either, its just the menu mucking around thats a pain. i dont know how the picture would compare to the denon, but im prepared to make the change, particularly if the denon plays pal at the true speed - i presume its easy to find denon multiregion hacks online?