HDMI Powerline

No.
It doesn't use Ethernet which is what Powerline supports, it puts the full bandwidth(several Gigabit/sec along the cable.
You need dedicated cabling.

Hi there,

Actually, this is a HDMI over IP (TCP/IP) transport device. We ship HDMI over IP from Just Add Power to the trade in the UK. These particular fellas are based on a Chinese chip that uses a JPEG motion compression system.

They are built by a reputable chinese factory, but who'll sell to anyone. So these are everywhere right now. Whilst the product has quality around the central chip, it's the central chip you need to worry about.

They use about 30mbps of bandwidth and they work over certain powerline adapters in our tests. Not all work, and you'll probably waste money finding a pair that do.

BEWARE - If you use these on powerline, you'll be able to use nothing else. It might work if you use these on a pair of powerlines from one manufacturer and ordinary data on another manufacturers type of powerline. Powerline isn't a set standard and it's why manufacturers devices don't work with eachother.

BE MORE AWARE - The taitatech chip these things are based on uses a motion jpeg system. The result is that you'll lose the odd frame of video from time to time. Resulting in a stutter. It's EXACTLY why the HDMI over IP from Just Add Power in it's 2nd generation is as far away from this as possible.

BE EQUALLY AWARE - Your picture quality will take a dive. The amount of compression is high on the taitatech chip. Shading goes bad.

I have two pairs of these in my workshop and whilst they are cheap, they have inherent issues. My advice, avoid. Unless you know the issues and are happy with them being that way.

Many Thanks!

What are you looking to achieve?

As others have posted Powerline is not ideal for HDMI.

Joe

I have to disagree with Joe regarding HDMI over PowerLine. I use HdJuiceBox and as long as you know the limitations it works perfectly.

Limitations

In practice no more than three receivers per system
Avoid having other powerline devices connected at the same time
Will not work if transmitters and receivers are on different fuseboards (different rings are ok)
Don't use with Power Filters

Seb

‘I use HdJuiceBox’ – only ‘use’??? :D

You forgot to mention image compression!

I’m sure you are correct that it can work and as a last option yes it has its place but it’s far from perfect – no matter whose version you use.

Joe

I didnt mention the compression as the compression on the HdJuiceBox is H.264 so the same as Digital TV and BD Content is generally already compressed to H.264.

HDJuiceBox just compresses the “decoded contents”(no matter what the contents from the BD disc players or STB receivers) to itsoriginal compression level.

Seb

I didnt mention the compression as the compression on the HdJuiceBox is H.264 so the same as Digital TV and BD Content is generally already compressed to H.264.

H.264 is a codec, the use of that codec does not mean that ever resulting video will be Full HD quality, many video file formats use the H.264 codec.

Direct from HDJuiceBox FAQ section.

What is Bandwidth and how does it affect HDJuiceBox?
Your internal power lines can handle only a certain amount of information being streamed down them at one time. Of course, each HDJuiceBox receiver requires that you send more information down the power lines. We advise that people purchase systems with just one or two receivers so that you get a full HD quality image. It is very rare that we have issues with one or two receivers when there are no other Powerline devices being used, such as a home plug system.

Last edited:
Hi

I am not sure why you are quoting a line from our faq/manual regarding bandwidth as this is just stating that if there is not enough available bandwidth on your powerline then you may not be able to show full 1080p and has nothing to do with compression.

Basically to be clear HdJuiceBox does not use any additional compression, though we do have settings to provide assistance in dropping down resolution should the bandwidth available be not enough to support 1080p.

If we are not careful we will end up just arguing with each other on this forum however i do have to say that HdJuiceBox is an excellent solution but would never say that it is better than a cabled solution and it is designed specifically for users who cant or wont recable.

Seb

Didn't realise you were the seller of the product, the line "I use HDJuiceBox" gives the impression that you are a general user of the product.

You infer in your next post that because HDJuiceBox uses H.264, if you play Blu-ray content over it you will always get the same Full-HD video result just because Blu-ray uses the same codec.

In highlighting the text from the website (that we now know is yours) I was pointing out that the type of codec used is not the only relevant part in determining the final quality of video, you can not shove a data stream or multiple data streams down a cable that can not accommodate it/them and as such something has to give i.e. lower the resolution of the source material.

Just as a side note, you may want to update the FAQ section if its now generally OK to use the system with 3 receivers as stated above.:devil:

Last edited:
I did post that we also sell the HDJuiceBox but it was removed as an infraction of AVForums policy so I wasnt trying to be misleading.

Thanks for the feedback, i've not yet taken the plunge as i'm still thinking about the overall home hub / node zero design in my house

For HdJuiceBox we offer a 7 working day trial to see if it is suitable for your house, so no risk to see if it works for you.

Seb

Actually, this is a HDMI over IP (TCP/IP) transport device. We ship HDMI over IP from Just Add Power to the trade in the UK. These particular fellas are based on a Chinese chip that uses a JPEG motion compression system.

They are built by a reputable chinese factory, but who'll sell to anyone. So these are everywhere right now. Whilst the product has quality around the central chip, it's the central chip you need to worry about.

They use about 30mbps of bandwidth and they work over certain powerline adapters in our tests. Not all work, and you'll probably waste money finding a pair that do.

I've bought a pair of these extenders myself and am having a terrible time trying to get them working over powerline/homeplug. Have tried three different sets from different manufacturers and none of them work. No data is received even though there is a lot of activity on the sender.

Does anyone know which powerline adapters work with hdmi over ip?

Thanks.

I doubt anyone can give you a guarantee of any combination always working as your home power network is in the mix.

If you have the JAP solution I would ask HDC Tech for info on compatible HomePlug devices.

We have our own HD over IP Solution - haven't tried it over HomePlug - will give it a whirl.

Joe

Hdmi over ip and then over home plug is a bit of a none starter in our experience . I doubt very much using different makes and models is going to help. You may be just don't have enough bandwidth over your power lines.

Thanks. My standard power network at home works fine with standard data. I have connection speeds using 600 av2 adapters of over 200mbps so more than fast enough for these type of extenders. The data just doesn't seem to get through. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't be working. Have tested with a direct cable connection and via a switch and works fine.

Have you actually tested data speeds, as notoriously misleading.

Also you need to check if hdmi over ip is using Multicast or Unicast as that can also have an effect.

More than happy to ship you one of our hdmi over ip products to test, free trial for 7 days. Then at least you can get a better idea. Our units can be set to Unicast or Multicast.

PM me your email address and I will send paperwork

Seb

Yeah have checked the actual throughput speeds and they are correct by transferring files from one PC to another connected to the homeplugs. Will have to check whether they are using unicast or multicast as not sure. Can't see any technical reason why this wouldn't be working.

Will PM you my email now - many thanks.

Hello, i tested some powerlines (Netgear XAVB 5501 and Belkin Gigabit) with a lenkeng LKV373 extender over IP, without router
Tryed 1080i 720P and 576p from set topbox, Television change format but audio is really dropped and i could see only frames from time to time...
Extender leds are flashing quickly in same way of the direct CAT5e cable (it works by cable)
i think encryption was not on, but i am not sure (lockk on netgear utility was opened)

Hi there,

I think these are the same of mine, could you tell us which PL are compatible??
Thanks

You may need to change the HDMi over IP to unicast rather than multicast, though still wouldn't recommend over Powerline.

manual says it is Multicast only so wont be possible, Unicast uses less bandwith normally but isnt an option

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom