Question HDMI ports not working

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by goggins, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:56 PM.

1. goggins

goggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Had a power cut for less than 30 seconds and when it came back on, my tv screen was blank. The sky box was still on but nothing would show on the screen. I then connected our other tv to the sky box and it worked perfectly. I then tried on the Blu-ray player and again the screen was blank. Tried all the hdmi ports but to no avail. Tv works fine with built in free view and sky via scary lead.
    So my question, is the telly fixable/worth fixing?
    It’s nearly 9 years old and the picture on it in hd or Blu-ray is still fantastic so hearing all the problems with newer sets doesn’t fill me with joy of having to get something to replace it.
    Thanks

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    Power cut may have caused a surge or EOS ( electrical over stress ) event that has either killed the HDMI ports or forced them into protection mode.

Unplug the TV , completely power down with plug removed from the wall, and disconnect everything from it.
    Leave it for an hour or so.
    Then power back up.
    If the ports work then it was just in protection mode...if not , then new TV time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. goggins

goggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the advice andy1249. I will give that a try overnight. I suppose I could be in a win-win predicament. If this works, I still get to use a great tv. If it fails, I get to buy a bigger tv.
    I will keep you updated with my progress.

4. goggins

goggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to say tv is back to its full glory. Thanks again andy1249 for your help. Could have been a very expensive Xmas for er indoors as she was already suffering withdrawals from not getting to watch Atlantic channel on sky!!!