• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI plug size

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Despite ploughing through the specs of lots of HDMI-HDMI cables, they never seem to quote the dimensions of the plugs.

I'm looking for a 7 metre/1080p cable that will pass through an existing conduit.

Can anyone recommend a cable with the smallest possible plugs, please? :)

Alphathon

The connector itself is ~14mm wide, ~5mm tall and ~9mm long. The size of the casing will vary though. I'd say 20mm x 10mm would be average, but the length varies greatly. I can't help you any more than that I'm affraid (although if you can fit a standard USB-A connector through with plenty of room then most HDMI cables will fit through as they aren't dissimilar in size (HDMI is usually slightly larger)).

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Yes, it's the casing size I'm after, as 20mm wide won't fit through.

The conduit is 20mm external diameter with 1mm thick walls, so I'm hoping to find a HDMI plug that's about 17mm across.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Well, if no one can suggest a HDMI cable that can go through the existing conduit, sounds like it's out with the hammer and chisel ! :(

MarkTaylor

I think that is the best option, this is one of those situations where there are no good answers if you start with conduit that small.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Thanks Mark.

When my cinema room was being built, I assumed I would have a wall mounted plasma, so I asked the builders to run in several conduits for speaker cables etc.

I've now decided to go the ceiling mounted projector route (JVC HD750), so I need to run a HDMI cable up to it.

Best laid plans and all that... :)

CLIVEEDWARDS

You could also feed through 2x cat 5/6 cables and use a HDMI to cat 5 sender/receiver. These cost from about £40 and may save you a load of hassle if you other wise have to remove the conduit.

MarkTaylor

You could also feed through 2x cat 5/6 cables and use a HDMI to cat 5 sender/receiver. These cost from about £40 and may save you a load of hassle if you other wise have to remove the conduit.

Take care with the specific equipment you use if you go down this route as some options do not work well with short cable runs as they are designed for much longer cables.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Take care with the specific equipment you use if you go down this route as some options do not work well with short cable runs as they are designed for much longer cables.

Thanks again, Mark.

Fortunately the wall is thermal blocks, so it's quite soft and easy to channel in a conduit.

I'll be connecting an Onkyo TX-SR706 to a JVC HD750.

The Belden HDMI cable looks a good choice, although I'm a little concerned that the 7m length is only Cat 1 certified.

Unless, of course, someone knows different... :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom