1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI player options for £400 or under ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BeelzebubUK, Sep 20, 2005.

1. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'll soon be purchasing a Pioneer PDP-436XDE so want to get a DVD player which will do it justice.

I like the Pioneer DV686 which can be had for £400. Is there anything else I should be looking at thats any cheaper but would give me the equivalent picture and CD playback quality for the same price or less ?

I notice that a lot of people have Denons in their setups. The Denon 1920 looks good specwise and is only approx. £240

I guess the other consideration would be the imminent release of HD-DVD /Blu-Ray which I'd guess would realistically mean I'll probably be upgrading in a couple of years so would I be better off getting something cheaper as I'm not adverse to saving close to £200 right now :)

2. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm looking to buy The Denon 1920 when it comes out . As far as i know it isn't out in any shops in the uk yet???

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Buy yourself a Pioneer 575, and put the £300 you've saved towards HD when it comes out...PJ :)

4. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would a Panasonic S97 or Denon 1920 beat a Pioneer 575?

5. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well they both have HDMI - but how they perform I don't know. Theoretically, the HDMI should be superior to a component prog scan, but in practice it's never that simple. There have been teething problems with many of the HDMI machines I have investigated.

That said, I also am waiting for the Denon 1920 as I have quite a long cable run that it is suggested would be handled better by HDMI rather than Component.

I am running a 10m S-Video from my old Sony DVP-S525 into my Panny AE700, which although better than I expected, should be vastly inferior to HDMI.

6. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    The Panny S97 would 'beat' a Pioneer 575, either through component or HDMI (I own both). Prog scan pic is better, never mind any upscaling. Pioneer 575 is an excellent machine though, and plays SACD and DIVX, which the Panny does not.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That's interesting. On the Pioneer, do you have detail set to fine and BNR On?

...PJ :)

8. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Yes - have tried various settings. Panny is just superior. To be expected, really, as the S97 was originally a £300 player and the top of Panny's range, whereas the Pio 575 is a budget model. The Pioneer 575 is an absolute bargain, though, and the peformance far belies the price tag, both in picture and sound. I'm really happy I have a three year guarantee on it (from Richer Sounds) as I will be gutted if it breaks down.

9. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any places selling the Panasonic S97 anymore?

10. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    @ Barzo what do you think of the Philips 720SA then.

Regards Tulloch

11. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I found a few personal reviews of the Denon 1920 from US owners now and it looks like the picture quality and audio playback are very good so think I'll save myself some money as it seems to have everything I want ; HDMI, SACD, DVD-A, DivX and should last a good while until HD players are in full circulation.

Should be out in a couple of weeks which is great timing for me.

PJTX100 - I was tempted by the 575 but I want to free up the component inputs on the plasma for my Xbox so really need to go HDMI

12. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Only had it up very briefly as a video player (to check it was working), so really can't comment on video quality. It is connected as an audio only source for SACD (which requires some tricky manipulation of the remote control to get SACD two channel playback, as the player always defaults to multichannel). In this role, bar the operational quirk, the sound is good, or at least as good as I can expect for the £42 I paid for it!

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yep, same here! Good point about the Panny being a top of the range model. That's one machine I'd like to see.... must..... resist.... PJ :D