1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI plasmas need two HDMI inputs right !?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ross-P, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What I mean is say you connect sky High Def to your plasma equipped with a HDMI input ( say a Pioneer 435XDE for instance ) and you want to connect a DVD player equipped with HDMI as well ( say a Pioneer DVR-920H ) to your plasma you can't do it !

So if I'm right you need two HDMI inputs on your Plasma making all Pioneers and some TVs due to come out soon already useless ! :eek:

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I think you can get a switch box, I'll post a link in a mo

3. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  4. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I thought of a switch box but I mean come on surely all the TV manufacturers must have thought hang on we need two HDMI inputs here !

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    and they probably thought "but it will put the price up so we wont, we'll just offer it as an upgrade for a couple of hundred quid..." :D

6. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Considering that a scaler to do this well is £1000, a 1/2 decent av amp is £300+, I'd expect this to be a stinking pile of poo. A switcher would be a better solution by far, or if finances permit, a proper AV amp with HDMI switching, but don't rush unless you have the cash, other, sensible options will appear well in time for skyHD which will do the job properly for sensible money, ie not chicken feed but no need to commit the heist of the century.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Ross-P - you say Two others are already saying Four :)

HDMI will eventually replace pretty much every other Video connection on the market - the Copyright owners want the Copy Protection of HDMI to replace non protected Analogue connections.

There are plenty of Digital switching options already available and in use - ranging from around £200 for 2 In 1 Out (see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2208) to 5 In 1 Out at around £400.00 (see http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.htm).

Keep in mind most switchers (even those with HDMI connectors) are Video Only or Video + Digital Audio on Toslink/Co-axial connectors.

There are even Matrix switchers with multiple Inputs and Multiple Outputs just in case you have two or more screens to feed.

Best regards

Joe

9. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky boxes have two scarts one to the screen and one from a recording/playback device.I guess sky High Def boxes will have the same switching but with HDMI how else are you going to connect your Blu-ray recorder up? seems silly just being able to record composite or S-VHS.With HDMI they could more easily restrict recording of box office or pay per view to an external source so you have to record it to the internal Hard drive. Plus HDMI spec says it can control other devices via remote so thats ideal for recording to an external device.

But yes more HDMI sockets would be welcome for future games consoles etc

10. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or it could be the other way round - a HD recording device would have a HDMI input with passthrough to the HDMI output.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are not going to connect your blu ray recorder up, that's what HDCP prevents. No recording is possible, except of not protected content, ie all the dross. The HDTV box will have a HDD recorder like sky+, but extraction will be prohibited.

12. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DRM doesn't just mean no copying at all. It's entirely possible that you can make a one-off copy of a protected broadcast, but it won't let you make a copy of that copy. Although films (and certainly commercial discs) won't let you copy at all.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    True enough, just depends how warm hearted and generous Mr Murdoch is feeling then.

14. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or how warm hearted and generous the content providers are feeling.

BTW, with regards to the Philips box - at a basic level, I can't see it acting as purely a HDMI switcher and better / worse than any of the other devices out there. It's either going to work or not.

As a scaler, maybe it won't be great. But quite frankly, I don't see that a half decent scaler should cost £1000 - in fact, you can argue with the Zinwell BriteView that it doesn't. Strip away all the shell, power supply, etc., and the core of a scaler doesn't really need to cost a lot, and therefore could be added to a HDMI amp quite cheaply. What £1000 buys you is a lot more control over the picture, which can be particularly useful depending on what your display device is.

And half decent AV amps can easily be sourced for £250. All in all, I would say it's entirely possible to produce a decent, if not outstanding device for the proposed £400. Whether Philips will pull it off or not can only be determined as and when the product is released.

15. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Now why did I not see this thread before starting another...

Oh and I agree, more HDMI please.