1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI plasma for £1500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by duke_thrust, Oct 5, 2005.

1. duke_thrust

duke_thrust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably see this question a lot so apologies if this is old ground being covered yet again.

I'd like to get a plasma, ideally 42 inch, but would settle for 42. It has to have PC connectivity and be HDTV capable. (what is the difference between HDTV ready and compatible??)

From what I understand the input that it must have is HDMI, I was considering the Hyundai ImageQuest HQP421HR 42 but have been warned off it as it only has DVI no HDMI.

So what screen (is there one??) for around £1500 is best and has HDMI and PC inputs?

Any help and advice is gratefully received

Many thanks

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the Pansonic PWD8 is hd compatible and in that price range. It means that it is a standard definition screen which will accept HD inputs but downscale them to the screen SD resolution (852 x 480). The Panasonic PHD8 is high resolution (1024 x 768) but comes in at around £2300. Apaprently some other people make plasmas too though :)

3. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the Hitachi 42PD6600 also is HD ready, 42 inch, with HDMI, and can be had for around £1600. This is a new model and there are various threads about it

4. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Take no notice of sharpey14, Make sure you read the 6600 threads because loads of them are being sent back!

5. duke_thrust

duke_thrust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a list somewhere that shows all screen with HDMI?

ie a detailed features comparison table

6. maxl

maxl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A Panasonic PWD8 (HD compatible) with stand, appropriate boards and even a seperate stand should fit into that budget. I will be ordering one at the end of the month... :thumbsup:

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    not that I'm aware of, you'll need to do some research...

8. duke_thrust

duke_thrust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing I don't like about that screen is the res, I'd like somthing that can cope with 1024*768

I know I want the earth for nothing.... any more suggestions?

9. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    HD Ready is the EICTA name for a TV that meets certain specifications

HDTV Compatible means absolutely nothing, marketing for "bugger our TV isn't HD Ready and we need to sell of the old stock before we can get the new ones out, I know lets call it HDTV Compatible and try to confuse peoiple into buying it!"

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well not exactly Scarty, HD compatible just means it will correctly display a picture with the signal, but misses the definition in some way. The Hitachi 5200H for instance does not accept 720p@50Hz on component, so cannot carry the badge. The PWD8 has only 480 vertical lines, but makes no apology for it, it's a panasonic for the people. It still looks very nice with SD or HD content, and is renowned for blowing the socks off any competition at the price for sheer watchability, never mind 'HD ready'. For a real HD ready of quality, you need more dosh. Hitachi 7200 is where it begins, £2k. Not my favourite, but a genuine contender from Hitachi.

11. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hey MAW, i've read that the panasonic th42pe50 can accept hi-def over component or something like that. Whats your opinion?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IIRC the exact opposite is the case, no 720p component support. There was a big and contentious thread about it, and about how much it mattered.

13. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    MAW - HD Compatible isn't a recognised term issued by an industry body, it isn't a de facto standard that has been addressed by the industry as a whole and it means different things to different manufactures, hence my somewhat facicitious comment about it being a marketing term, which it is, dreamed up to confuse the general public.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Didn't know any manufacturers used it, Scarty! It was a term AFAIK, dreamed up here to describe those screens which fall outside spec but still work, like describing a whole installation as HD compatible, like a PHD7 and HDMI compliant scaler.

15. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    From Pioneer website:

HD "Compatible" or HD-"Ready"?

Some televisions are digital and HD-ready, which means that you can add a tuner to the television at some later date in order to receive HD signals. These sets are generally called HD-compatible or HD-ready and are somewhat less expensive than a true HDTV. However be aware that not all TVs being promoted as “HD-compatible” are truly capable of displaying HD signals. If the television display is not true HD the signal must be downgraded for an image to be displayed. This difference needs to be understood before purchasing an HDTV in order for a consumer’s expectations to be met.

RGB Direct Website

32" Widescreen HD Compatible LCD TV Sharp - LC32P50E

MAW - unfortunately "HD Compatible" is a phrase that is out there and being used, however inaccurate

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Blatant plagiarism from this site!!! I hope the forum defintion (Copyright Joe@TMF and Gordon@convergent) is crystal clear?

17. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Take no notice of Sharpy 14 cos loads are beign sent back", good to see reason and courtesy are alive and well. :mad:

"Loads" being I think one person has said they have sent theirs back. Bearing in mind that apparently thousands have been supplied, and that folk are very quick to post the slightest problem, "loads" would appear to be a slight exagerration (no surprise there then).

Oh, and don;t buy any Panasonics cos they apparently have "loads" being sent back due to buzzing and a line across the screen.

If you check the Hitachi threads, you will find quite a number of 6600 are actually (keep quiet about this), quite happy with their purchase, but don't let that spoil your fun.

18. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hey I used HD Compatible "back in the day" too!!! I want my credit :D

May not be de facto, but will very much be a de jour standard soon enough simply because the amount it is thrown around. The common consensus being a screen that fulfills all the digital copyrighted signal criteria (720p and 1080i @ 50Hz) but does not have 720 or more lines in it's resolution. Unfortunately there is some use of it by some retailers to sell a screen that will do all this via analogue, but not by digital. But I do reckon the phrase (and its proper meaning) will catch on. And it definitely started in this forum! Be proud, we came up with something that will influence a whole industry. (we're also the first to complain when it doesn't work :devil: )

Back to the point. A comparison of all screens that do this, that and the other would be nice. But only strays away from the point that as much as we don't really like it, the Panasonic is still the most watchable screen on the market. NEC VP5 being a second (also known as Pioneer MVE1). Hitachi.... well if you like what you see buy one and never come back to this forum!!! LG, now I saw one of these the other day on public display and was actually quite surprised. Not downright shocked, but surprised that it held its own quite well.