HDMI picture mode switching problem

Anjou

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just discovered that my Sony Bravia won't let me change the picture ratio of stuff over the HDMI input - ie, I can't put 4:3 stuff into 14:9. I just get 'feature not available with this signal'.

Is this just Sony being daft or is it the same for all TVs using HDMI?

It depends what signal you're feeding it. If its 720p or 1080i then by definition these are widescreen only and so many TVs won't allow you adjust the aspect ratio.

Thought it might be something like that. It's just annoying when watching 4:3 DVDs like Frasier. Oh well..

Cheers.

ianh64 said:
You should beable to select this on the DVD player.

I can - got the Sony 76H - but it just puts the 4:3 image in the center of the screen with black bars. I can opt for FULL mode instead but this just stretches it. I suppose I could tell the DVD player I've got a 4:3 TV every time I watch material in that format, but that's a bit of a pain.

Oh well...just have to live with the black bars.

Personnaly i much prefer black bars to a stretched/zoomed in picture.

If your TV is black, you don't even notice them after a while :)

Anjou said:
I can - got the Sony 76H - but it just puts the 4:3 image in the center of the screen with black bars. I can opt for FULL mode instead but this just stretches it. I suppose I could tell the DVD player I've got a 4:3 TV every time I watch material in that format, but that's a bit of a pain.

Oh well...just have to live with the black bars.
I'm assuming that your DVD player is upscaling to either a 720p or 1080i signal. Why not, for 4:3 material, output this at 576p which should give you all the optional aspect modes back, including 14:9 .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom