HDMI - Physical Interface or Signal Type ?

Buckster

Distinguished Member
not sure either way - but just bought a 2nd hand HD Fury (no problems with seller - just device/way marketed) - and I always assumed HDMI was a physical interface not a signal type ?

or am I wrong ?

just that their blurb states that HDFurys allow a HDMI input and outputs VGA - fine

but the actual input is DVI - hence the original question

and if HDMI is not the physical interface what is that physical interface called ??

thanks, Mark.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Semantics...

The HDFury accepts DVI (or HDMI) and outputs RGBHV. The use of the word VGA is technically incorrect.

It does no conversion - if you put a 720P signal into it, it outputs 1280x720 - if you put a 1080P signal into it, it outputs 1920x1080.

I'd say VGA is a signal format (in the strictest sense, it of course means 640x480), and "Analogue RGBHV" is the physical interface.

Likewise, 720P or 1080P are signal formats and HDMI or DVI are the physical interfaces.

Buckster

Distinguished Member
not semantics - the website states it takes a HDMI input and outputs (XXX)

is DVI a HDMI input ? I don't think it is ?

Semantics...

The HDFury accepts DVI (or HDMI) and outputs RGBHV. The use of the word VGA is technically incorrect.

It does no conversion - if you put a 720P signal into it, it outputs 1280x720 - if you put a 1080P signal into it, it outputs 1920x1080.

I'd say VGA is a signal format (in the strictest sense, it of course means 640x480), and "Analogue RGBHV" is the physical interface.

Likewise, 720P or 1080P are signal formats and HDMI or DVI are the physical interfaces.

hornydragon

not semantics - the website states it takes a HDMI input and outputs (XXX)

is DVI a HDMI input ? I don't think it is ?

HDMI is standard based on DVi-D 1.0 and with HDCP implemented the physical connector is less important than the signal sent down it but as usual there is lots of dumbing down for the consumer which leads to confusion. DVI-D and HDMI are inter changable for video signals, not for audio control or copy protection

choddo2006

Novice Member
I think it's marketing over technical accuracy. HDMI is a plug. But since it takes a £2 adapter or a £5 cable to convert between them, noone's going to be off to trading standards any time soon.

edit: Oh, hadnt thought about sound... does the Fury just not handle it?

VGA is realy 15pin dsub but I think most people wouldn't argue that one.

p.s. analog RGBHV could mean 5 BNCs so that's not the same.

badkarma

I think we can all agree VGA is common parlance for a PC input/output connection to a monitor or similar based on RGBHV :)

More importantly, does the HDFury work ok ?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
If we are going to go down the route of full pedantry....

VGA is actually nothing more than the name of the display hardware in the original IBM PS/2 machine.

It's just through word of mouth that it has come to represent RGBHV carried over a 15 pin D-Submini connector...

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I'm bored now though :)

What a pointless thread - no disrespect to the original poster intended...

A manufacturer refers to a gadget that lets you connect one thing to something else. Said gadget does indeed work perfectly and does what it says on the box.

In describing this gadget, they use widely accepted, albeit not entirely accurate, phraseology...

Not exactly the crime of the century I think anyone would agree!

badkarma

not sure either way - but just bought a 2nd hand HD Fury (no problems with seller - just device/way marketed) - and I always assumed HDMI was a physical interface not a signal type ?

or am I wrong ?

just that their blurb states that HDFurys allow a HDMI input and outputs VGA - fine

but the actual input is DVI - hence the original question

and if HDMI is not the physical interface what is that physical interface called ??

thanks, Mark.

Mark,

Just read this again, no your not wrong, HDMI is a physical interface. You can only connect HDMI using a HDMI connector never via DVI you can only connect a DVI source using an adapter or DVI>>HDMI cable (effectively a long adapter !).

So in essence you are right in what your saying. The Fury is DVI to make it more versatile.

Buckster

Distinguished Member
cheers guys

it doesn't really matter - just was interested (I'm an Electronic Engineer) ......

ps HDFury gives a Sublime picture on my PWD8 plasma

I worked out I could just use a DVI to DVI cable + HDMI to DVI Computer converter ... so just need to buy a DVI cable

have to say that the colours are far more accurate, and definately less banding via VGA into the set (straight in) vs through the HDMI blade

so result really :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom