1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI & Panasonic 42PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JustCruzin, Jun 6, 2005.

1. JustCruzin

JustCruzin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this isn't old news but will a hdmi board work with the Panasonic PWD6? Has anybody got this set up and is this better than component? I hope the simplicity of what I'm asking doesn't offend!

Cheers

ARIF :cool:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    why buy an HDMI card when the DVi card is better? (accepts more resolutions still no HD res at 50Hz tho)

3. JustCruzin

JustCruzin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Can you explain a bit more about DVi and the resolution thing at 50hz... if you don't mind.

I got a hdmi dvd player as a gift (Panasonic dvds-97). Would it be ok to go this player with hdmi to dvi cable or is that a definite no no?

cheers

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HDMI is DVi-D with audio so connect the S97 to the DVi board with a HDMI to DVi cable, and as long as you stick to 576p for 50Hz material, dont use 720p 1080i etc it will workd for 60Hz material you can use 720p if you like how is it currently connected?

5. JustCruzin

JustCruzin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will probably make you laugh. Current connection is... wait for it... is component from the dvd player to the VGA on the PWD6 (15 pin mini d-sub) I think- I got a component to mini d-sub cable from some obscure website. It works ok but doesn't let you set the PWD6 to Panasonic Auto aspect which is a pain on the 2.35:1 aspect dvds.

I'm still wondering how much of an improvement HDMI/DVi will give over the component which is mighty impressive I think. Is there much to be gained with a digital connection?

I guess my options are to get an component board with a good quality cable OR a DVi board with a HDMI to DVi cable- what do you reckon?

Thanks

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TO be BLUNT your connections are spot on mate your DVD players jsut not very good..................... perhaps some benefit in a better cable but i wuld try a demo of an Arcam DV88+/89 denon 2900 and Tosh SD9000 (all sadly discontinued) and i dont think you get auto aspect on anything but scart which is crap can get an aspect switcher box tho (if your too lazy to pick up the remote) best improve ment in PQ is a new DVD player, and ISF calibration (Hope your not using "Dynamic mode")

The £200+ on a DVi board and HDMI>DVi cable would be much better spent on calibration, see www.homecinemaengineering.com

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Horny, I'd beg to differ here. The S97 is a fair bit better in HDMI than on component. There will be a discernible benefit from goung the DVI or HDMI route. And you'd want to decide which way to go before calling Piers in, calibration needs to be done on all inputs. And does the S97 not have the ability to FRC? It's been a while since I had my hands on one. Of course that might or might not be desirable, but well worth a try. A DVI board will cost about £130, cable from Lindy, £25, or you might find someone willing to lend you the board to try, and don't forget to try in classifieds.

8. JustCruzin

JustCruzin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emmm.... thanks HD & MAW for your advice! I'm a little confused now as to what to do but do appreciate your efforts. :D

MAW where can I get DVI board for £130? Or HD, a component board for similar. I'm assuming now that HDMI board is not compatible with the PWD6. Thanks for your continuing advice.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Must admit i have never compared analogue from S97 to HDMI (only seen it on a PDP on HDMI) but MAW do you think a better DVD player via component (HK DVD25 just sold in classifieds for £100) would give a better PQ than an S97?