HDMI over powerline

DelboyWR450

Hi,

I am looking at sending the HDMI output from a splitter I have over the power lines to another 2, maybe 3 screens.
These are the fastest powerline adapters I can get: https://www.screwfix.com/p/tp-link-tl-wpa8630p-kit-dual-band-ac1300-powerline-kit-2-pieces/378fr

I was looking at the DrayTek units to distribute, all the TVs at the remote end are either 32" 720p or 50" 1080p panels, so no 4k required, but would be nice if something was capable, but I guess that is a big ask.
This is the sender and receiver kit with IR control, plus you can buy separate receivers: https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/32713-draytek-hve290-k/

Has anybody tried this or have any other suggestions? Sadly I can't run dedicated cat 6 cables to these rooms and am assuming doing something over powerline will be more reliable than wireless and give added advantage of extending the wifi in the house too.

TIA Derek

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI does not run over a HomePlug connection - you can stream data over HomePlug and then attach a Network Streamer such as an ATV, Smart TV or Game Console to decode and play back the data stream.

The 'figures' you see for HomePlug are often misleading and can be hugely affected by local wiring.

Wireless HD is inherently unreliable.

Which Source devices are you trying to Distribute?

Joe

DelboyWR450

Hi Joe,

Hope you're well (I bought an Octava box of you about 10 years ago!!).
I thought the DrayTek boxes would do the trick as it's over IP rather than HDMI over cat6. Of course the powerline adapters at their best will probably, with a following wind, pass 500Mbps through them as I know the bandwidth is measured by adding up the data transmitted and received. I did see a youtube video where a guy managed to get this to work with a similar setup - sadly the HDMI over IP boxes he used don't seem to be available anymore, on a plus side his powerline adapters were just cheap ones given to him by Virgin media probably 500Mbps total. Although I did spot very similar HDMI over IP boxes on fleabay and Amazon.
This is the link to his video: Video

One thing I am doing which is a bit naughty but it does seem to be working fine is I am passing SkyQ (btw it is only Sky I am distributing) into a Denon 602Ci video processor and then one of the outputs (sadly only 2) is plugged into a 2 way splitter which is fed into my dining room TV and the other leg is what I was going to send over the power lines with the other output from the Denon box plugged into my lounge TV. I have tested this by connecting 3 screens to all the available outputs and that works fine, I was expecting HDCP issues, but all is good, so I think it is just a case now getting the HDMI over the power lines to the two bedrooms I want Sky in.
I only want to distribute Sky and there are only 2 of us in the house so we won't have problems with people wanting to watch different channels, so I'm hoping that keeps things simples!
Also hoping that I wasn't just lucky running all the screens as they are all Panasonics

Cheers, Derek

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HD over LAN you can try with HomePlug - though note most of the budget systems will convert 50Hz to 60Hz and as per the video you link too you also have to down convert the signal to a lower bandwidth signal than you would ideally want (we have Octava options you can consider :)).

We tend to use TP-Link whenever we are requiring HomePlug - which can be quite often here in the Borders with a lot of older properties and folk not wanting a full rewire and just want better WiFi around the house.

Joe

DelboyWR450

Hi Joe,

You have some interesting kit, especially with the 4k capability. I guess for my needs I will try the powerline extenders and DrayTek boxes and make sure it is possible to return them if it doesn't work! At least with the powerline kit it will extend my wifi into 2 opposite corners of the house too.

Cheers D

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Or am I expecting too much?' - it will very much depend on the wiring in your property, we deal with a lot of old property (mine included c1813) and HomePlug can be very variable from room to room.

Joe

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I was looking at these: TL-WPA8630P KIT | AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit | TP-Link United Kingdom
They claim to have 1300Mbps, so I thought 500Mbps would be achievable judging by tests that have been done on older models? Or am I expecting too much?
Tests on the closest american version here.
TP-LINK TL-PA8030P KIT 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder - Results from #1

They got a max of just over 400 in ideal conditions, thats with sender and receiver in the same room, whereas the more realistic figure is from 110 to 160 which is probably what you can expect.
The claimed figures mean nothing, and it all depends on your own house wiring, as Joe says.

I live in an old solid wall house myself , and went through an awful lot of homeplugs looking for good performance.
In the end I stopped wasting money on them and bought a good drill bit instead.
Ran some category cable and the job is done properly.

Last edited:

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Tests on the closest american version here.
TP-LINK TL-PA8030P KIT 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder - Results from #1

They got a max of just over 400 in ideal conditions, thats with sender and receiver in the same room, whereas the more realistic figure is from 110 to 160 which is probably what you can expect.
The claimed figures mean nothing, and it all depends on your own house wiring, as Joe says.

I live in an old solid wall house myself , and went through an awful lot of homeplugs looking for good performance.
In the end I stopped wasting money on them and bought a good drill bit instead.
Ran some category cable and the job is done properly.
Not that I'm plugging my own reviews, but as they are on this very site.
TP-LINK TL-PA8030P Powerline Starter Kit Review

DelboyWR450

Thanks Guys, I assume wireless isn't a workable option between floors in the house. I had dismissed that in favour of Powerline Adapters in the first instance. So is there any other way apart from running physical cat 6a shielded cables?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are looking for reliable HD (1080p) or UHD (2160p) plan for conduit/wires - anything else is at best compromised; video compression, home wiring, wireless environment...

If you want fully uncompressed UHD you need to consider fibre - our preference being the RuiPro Hybrid Fibre cables. Solid core, non-CCA, CAT6 with suitable HDBT extenders is the next best option.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom