Question HDMI Over IP - Using Correct HDMI Cable

RationalRabbit

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have noticed some cable manufacturers list their product with similar phrases as " Provides HDMI Ethernet Channel" When using HDMI over IP, is there a specific type of HDMI cable to use, or is this just an irrelevant selling point?
1590869786035.png

I am also in a quandry when there is a wide range of pricing in extenders, and I cannot find specific information that tells me why a $300. extender is better than a $25. one, or whether I shouldn't just use baluans. I'm running 4 cams on a small budget, but the quality has to be there as well.

Last edited:
To the best ofy knowledge there hasn't been any devices that actually uses the facility.

It's unrelated to HDMI over IP completely.

I did a little more research on HDMI Ethernet channels. (HDMI 1.4 technology) Rather interesting.

The biggest benefit of the HDMI Ethernet Channel is cable consolidation. Instead of relying on several separate cables, home theater users only have to rely on one Ethernet cable connected to a television or receiver. Ethernet-enabled HDMI cables can then carry data transmissions from a main source to other IP-based home entertainment devices. Users can enjoy this setup without losing anything in quality or capacity.

The HDMI link incorporates a dedicated data channel that provides bi-directional networking at speeds of up to 100 MB per second

IIRC the only use for the ethernet connection in an HDMI cable is eARC. As Jamie said above no HDMI equipment actually uses the ethernet connections to carry network signals.

The cheaper HDMI over IP devices are likely not able to carry anything over IP, but only over a directly connected CAT5/6 cable. The more expensive units likely do work over a buildings network connections via a switch etc.

Mark.

I'm running 4 cameras through a Roland Vr-3EX. I bought one of these to try it out. Not really using a network, so maybe I shouldn't have said "ip"
1590973647078.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom