HDMI over Ethernet (CAT Cable)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kalel786, Aug 21, 2012.

1. kalel786

kalel786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post.

I needed help and didn't know where to go.

So basically, my computer is in my room, the TV is downstairs, about 40-50 meters away. There's already a cat 5e cable that's wired and nailed into place, but I wouldn't mind redoing it if I need to.

I want 1080p/HD 5.1 audio over ethernet. Could someone point me towards a product that will help me achieve my goal?

This looks to be what I'm looking for.

Labgear High Speed HDMI 1.4 3D Over Ethernet Lan Network Cable Extender 50m | eBay

What kind of extender am I looking for? A lot of the listings don't specify if they're compatible with 5.1.

Do I get any 1.4 3D one? What kind of extender do I need?

I'm assuming I'm going to need 2 ethernet cables. Are there any cables that are like 2 at the end, and twist into one? So it would look like 1 wire going down and not two? Does a cable like this exist?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    What exactly are you looking to do here ?

Do you just want to play the content from your computer on your TV?

You want 1080p with 5.1 audio so presumably your going from your PC to a HDMI equipped amp or AV receiver ? Then from your AV receiver to your TV ?

If so , then something like a WDTV live used along with your existing Ethernet cable will do the job fine !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Dig...OKC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345531160&sr=8-1

Those HDMI extenders essentially take a live HDMI feed and deliver it to your screen , they use two runs of Ethernet cable to do this , and those two runs of Ethernet cable will not be carrying Ethernet signals , they will be carrying TMDS signals and cannot be used for anything else.

In addition , your PC will be working flat out playing the content along with your TV.

So , if the aim is to get content from your PC to play on your TV , then HDMI extenders is not the ideal solution for you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  3. kalel786

kalel786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes, you're correct, I wish to play 1080p with 5.1 audio, going through my av reciever to the TV downstairs. I currently use my ps3, which streams from my pc using ethernet doing the same job as the wdtv you suggested would do.

I want my computer to be over hdmi, because I want XBMC, all file compatibility and the ability to play games on the downstairs tv.

So what I'm looking for is a hdmi over cat extender. There are some extenders that work over a single ethernet cable.

I think I need one that atleast supports 1.3 or 1.4 hdmi, as this should be enough bandwidth for 1080p with 5.1.

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    A pair of extenders will give you a live HDMI feed to your TV , how your going to control it without significant lag for games is another matter.

Most extenders will use two runs of Cat5/6 cable , older models that used 1 run of cable caused a very significant drop in video quality.
    Also note that to go from the 19 wires usually used in HDMI to the 16 available over two runs of CAT5/6 cable , the shield connections for the TMDS lines are dropped , so the runs of CAT5/6 must be Shielded to work best.

There are new senders , transmitters that will send over one cable , these come under the term HDMI over IP , and are very expensive indeed , your talking something like £400 to £1000 to do this.

Really , for what you want to do , and to do it properly , you would be talking about a purpose built HTPC as part of your Hi Fi rack.

If the games requirement were dropped , there are now plenty of Streamers that will run XBMC and Plex.

5. kalel786

kalel786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to buy this

Cablesson HDelity HDMI 3D Extender Single Cat5/6 (Bi-Directional IR) HDMI 1.4 | eBay

but stopped when I saw your message.

Looks to do everything I need. 1080p upto 50m with true hd 5.1 sound over a single cat6 cable. So this wouldn't work? I'd rather not buy another streamer to be honest, that's the last option I would choose.

Thanks for your help btw, you've been really helpful, I appreciete it.

6. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Those single Cat5/6 extenders drop the quality by a huge amount. I wouldnt bother , it will work , but you wont be happy with it.

A pair of extenders using two runs is best. If the cable you already have installed is UTP your going to have to replace it , otherwise you will struggle to get 1080p over it , they must be shielded or STP type and both must run in an unbroken line from Sender to receiver , remember these units do not send ethernet compatible signals , you cannot connect through routers or switches.

About gaming , how are you going to control it ? Just out of interest !

Your selling short the new streamer option if gaming is not a priority, the PS3 was left behind years ago in terms of file compatibility , for example , you will struggle to find anything the WDTV cannot play.

7. kalel786

kalel786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh :-(

Does wdtv have xbmc?

I want a streamer that works with xbmc perfectly if I get one.

Could you show me which product has two runs, and can provide 50m 1080p with 5.1 dts over ethernet?

I can't decide if I should get a streamer or Hdmi over cat6.

What streamer should I get if I do get one? I want a decent one, upto £150 i'd be willing to pay for it, the same amount I would of spent on the hdmi extender?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,468
    If you go the HDMI over Twisted pair route you are pushing your cable to the limit at 50m with a 'conventional' Dual CAT solution - though the hardware cost makes it attractive, Media Factory - Octava HDCATIR, HDMI + IR over CAT5 or CAT6 Extender

If your budget allows you may want/have to consider the option of HDMI over HDBaseT - these can deliver 1080p, 5.1 audio, IR, 10/100 Ethernet and RS232 out to 100m on a single piece of CAT6; Media Factory - Octava HDCATS-100, HDBaseT HDMI + Ethernet over single CAT5 Extender with RS232 and IR Passthru

As Andy suggests a streamer may be a better solution for you if you can find one which meets your requirements - there is a separate Forum on AVF for streamer's.

Joe

9. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    Use a HD base t transmitter and receiver you should have no loss of quality and minimal lag.

Also need to send control signals to PC, could use USB over cat a well