Hdmi over Ethernet advice

J9F

Novice Member
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have bought a new projector and have installed it in a separate room to my TV, sky box and blue ray. I'd like to occasionally get sky and blue ray content onto the projector without having unplug or move anything. It's just a bit too far for a long hdmi lead.

So I have been looking at hdmi over ethernet. When we did up the house I installed cat 6 cables to every room so I have an ethernet socket near the projector and near the sky box, hence the hdmi over Ethernet idea.

I have seen a few splitters on the web which should deal with getting output from the sky box to the projector but it's the route that the signals will need to take that I'm not sure about.

I don't believe that the hdmi signals can go through a router so I was wondering if I could just patch the sockets straight through. That would mean the output from sky would go through the splitter to an ethernet socket on the wall and through an under floor ethernet cable to a patch panel. At the other end it would be the same thing so the receiving balun would be connected to an ethernet socket, which in turn connects to a patch panel. Connecting the ports on the patch panel effectively completes the link.

I'm not after 4k transmission, full HD is enough. But would the 4 connection points cause the signal to degrade too much? Or am I better off just getting a long ethernet cable and run it through the house on the odd occasion when I need sky on a big screen?

Thanks in advance

Jon

neilball

Stick with either HDBaseT or HDMI-over-Ethernet baluns, connected directly, not via any network switches, and you should be ok. All my HDBaseT distribution at home goes via my patch panel and RJ45 wall plates (all installed long before HDMI over Cat was a thing) and give me Full HD distribution with no issues.

J9F

Novice Member
Many thanks. Very much appreciated.It looks like my setup should be fine.

I shall have to get shopping for an appropriate set of baluns. Whilst I'm here are there any makes that you'd recommend?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Many thanks. Very much appreciated.It looks like my setup should be fine.

I shall have to get shopping for an appropriate set of baluns. Whilst I'm here are there any makes that you'd recommend?

I use 4 sets of these ones in the link and would highly recommend them. They have been discontinued and replaced with a more up to date version which will no doubt be costly but these ones quite regularly come up on ebay at good prices.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
UHD over LAN or HDBT are both potential options - what you have to be clear about is what, if any, signal you want to be sending to the TV at the same time as sharing the signal with the Projector?

It would also be good to understand what you are doing with audio across the two zones?

Joe

J9F

Novice Member
UHD over LAN or HDBT are both potential options - what you have to be clear about is what, if any, signal you want to be sending to the TV at the same time as sharing the signal with the Projector?

It would also be good to understand what you are doing with audio across the two zones?

Joe
Hi Joe

The sky signal will either go to the TV or to the projector, no need for both at the same time. The sound is catered for by a surround sound system for the projector and bog standard TV speakers in the other room.

Basically I'm happy to plug or unplug a couple of cables on the occasion when I want big screen stuff from Sky. I'm just looking at the easiest way to get a signal to the projector using the existing infrastructure.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Plugging/unplugging - you have to be careful with that plan. Cables can fail and kit can get damaged unless you ensure all devices are powered Off at the wall before you start plugging and unplugging the HDMI cables.

You may have to allow for adjusting the video and audio settings on the Source devices depending on where you will be viewing the signal - the source may reset automatically but it is not guaranteed.

If this is only an occasional requirement and you have ready access to the rear of the source kit you may find simply swapping the SKY Output cable (with kit powered Off) between the TV and an HDBT or UHD over LAN Transmitter is your easiest option.

Joe

kdp99

I've not heard of gefen but I'll definitely check them out. Awesome, thank you.
Just a second vote for these, I tried and failed with 3 different HDMI over ethernet devices devices in the £60 range over the years. Got a pair of these for £35 off Ebay and Sky+HD works fine now over a 30m cat 6 cable I cut then resoldered.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom