• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Hdmi over coax

daftpunk1

I know you can run hdmi over coax but I thought it would be coax in and then hdmi out.

But I've been told you can get hdmi in. So your sky box goes into the coax hdmi box then coax runs into rf aerial port on tv

I find this hard to believe the tv can accept this through its aerial port.

Anyone explain a bit about hdmi over coax and what exactly can be done and its limitations?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
They are talking about HDMI -> MPEG Encoders -> RF modulators. These take an HDMI input and convert to a FreeviewHD-like signal.

There is a thread about one such product here:
Edision Modulator

It is converting the raw video to MPEG - I think there are format limitations dictated by the TV standards supported by the TV, and the encoding could give arifacts. No personal experience of them myself.

If you were thinking of using this to get video to a projector there are additional concerns - most PJs don't have tuners, so you need an external tuner, and the conversion will probably add significant delay to the video which may be difficult to synchronise a separate audio system to.

HarperVision

RLastres

Novice Member
Has anyone tried using the Stellar Labs 33-11970 (HDMI to QAM transmitter) using a QAM capable receiver? I am thinking of using a hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner that is QAM capable as the reciever.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom