Hdmi over coax

dts_boy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread but I am looking at sending hd video over coax to my kitchen tv. The only cable run to it at the moment is a coax cable which is joined on the side of my house. I have looked at hdmi over coax tx/Rx kits which look good but my concerns are will this work given the cable has been joined or does it need a single unbroken feed? Don't have an option to run a new cable - is this the best option as I don't want to spend the money and then it not work...

Having done some more research I have found wireless hdmi sender / receiver kits, reviews are favourable and quite a bit cheaper at £120. Have ordered a kit to try - will post back my thoughts once it's here.
Can't see the point in paying an installer to do this for me - it's a simple enough job and whilst I don't mind paying for expertise that would be taking it a bit too far!
Thanks anyway

Whilst I can see your way of thinking an installer may charge less than you think. The last baluns I fitted I charged £40 over retail installed with termination. The whole price of the coax baluns should come in a good deal shy of £500. I use wyrestorm almost exclusively. Can't get around the thought that wires are more reliable than wireless and although the baluns need 75ohm cable they seem robust enough. Let us know how you get on with the wireless extender. Regards Shorty

shortyav said:
Whilst I can see your way of thinking an installer may charge less than you think. The last baluns I fitted I charged £40 over retail installed with termination. The whole price of the coax baluns should come in a good deal shy of £500. I use wyrestorm almost exclusively. Can't get around the thought that wires are more reliable than wireless and although the baluns need 75ohm cable they seem robust enough. Let us know how you get on with the wireless extender. Regards Shorty

Don't realY have an issue paying installer - I had a company fit my surround system and program remotes but they want to charge me £145 to install baluns which I have decided is something I can do myself. Will see how I get on with the wireless ones first - if they don't work I will probably run a cat5 cable, it will be better in the long run I think.

No I understand where your coming from if the £145 is with cable that's a bargain really if you run the cable outside use external grade stuff and make sure you know which run is which because twin baluns don't take kindly to having the cables swapped. Any advice for product or cable give us a hollar

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom