HDMI over Cat6: Sparklies at >= 1080p50

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this thread I described a problem with my hdmi extenders that resulted in intermittent dropouts. This was fixed by replacing the short cable to the pj as per the last post. I now have a silver sparklies issue at 1080p and above on this route only. To recap, the configuration is

Marantz AV 7005
-- output 1 -> HDMI Extender -> ethernet -> HDMI Extender -> Samsung PS51D5900
-- output 2 -> HDMI Extender -> ethernet -> HDMI Extender -> JVC X3

The extenders are the Octava HDCAT-IR connected via Cat6.

Can anyone advise what the best way to go about diagnosing the source of the interference is?

DO you get sparkles if you go direct from your source to Projector ?

What is the length of each cable ?

hdmi cables are <1m at each end
cat6 is probably 50-60', not sure exactly, and is a point to point connection

by direct do you mean PS3 -> hdmi -> extender -> cat6 -> extender -> projector ? i.e. just removing the processor from the equation?

Yes try with direct from PS3 to projector via the extenders but remove the amp/processor from the equation.

at 50/60' its possible you are close to the length limit, you should though check this with Octava

problem appears to have been resolved by swapping the cables over on the extender ports thus suggesting that one of them is dodgy in some way (but good enough for the low bandwidth use of the 2nd cable).

Hello mattkhan

Good to hear you got sorted – CAT-1 carries the high bandwidth Video (with embedded audio) whilst CAT-2 carries the much lower bandwidth DDC, IR return and 5v power supply to the Octava Receiver unit.

It’s not unusual for poor termination being the problem rather than the actual cable!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom