Question Hdmi Over Cat5E

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by slowgsxr97, Jun 21, 2015.

1. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please bear with me, im new to all of this. If this is posted in the wrong section, mods feel free to move this.

I have just gotten new tv service at my house. I want to put all my cable boxes in the basement. I have 2 cat5e wires going to each room, 4 rooms total. I need to get hdmi over my cat5e. Distances are approx. 75' 40' 25' 25'.

All the cable boxes are RF, so I wont need anything for IR. I just need the hdmi signal through the cat5e I assume? 3 rooms will need wall plates, as the standard gang boxes are mounted up the wall, for wall mount applications. the last one will had to go through the floor, so I wont need a faceplate setup there. Do the face plates they sell fit a standard electrical single gang box?

What would you recommend for this type of set up. Do they need to be amplified in anyway? If anyone has a setup like this first hand I would love for you to chime in. Im on a budget, but do not want to buy something cheap just to replace it in 6 months, so im willing to compromise a little there.

Im want to order all my stuff tomorrow. Thanks In advance, slower.

2. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? Im ready to order. :)

3. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    According to the ads....

" You won't need to provide external power - it gets the power it needs from the HDMI source device."

Note that this is incredibly bad practice and is against the HDMI specifications.

All any HDMI device has to do to be within the HDMI spec is to supply a steady 50milliamps of current on the HDMI 5v supply line.
    This Is intended to power a screens EDID circuitry, and nothing else!

These extender devices that intend to steal power from this line may not work at all, because if a device supplies just 50 milliamps then there won't be enough power to steal and these devices wont work!
    Note that this will be the case for more than 60% of compliant HDMI devices on the market!

The wall plates you have ordered do at least have a connection for a 5v power supply, you should plan on using that connector or you will have an unreliable system.

The separate extenders you have ordered dont have a 5v connection, so these are a bad buy, and whether or not they will work with your gear will be down to luck!

Also note, and apologies if you know this already, these extenders simply use the category cable to send a HDMI signal from sender unit to receiver unit. The signal format is TMDS and is not compatible with any networking standard, so the category runs should be uninterrupted runs between sender and receiver units.
    There can be no breaks, no ethernet switches or patch panels anywhere in the run.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  5. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    There's loads of discussions about HMDI over Cat5\6 and relevant kit for distances on these forums. The general gist is: buy cheap, buy twice - so don't be stingy and invest in the good kit first time round, it'll save a lot of hassle later on. Same applies to your cabling - use good quality, pre-termimated and shielded cable if possible.

PS - I don't think there's such thing as a slow GSXR ;)

6. SnoopMarky

SnoopMarky
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, about to do runs of cat cable myself. Is that right that you can't patch your HDMI cat runs into a patch panel? Good job I read this first then if so. Thanks :)

7. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Whilst the general rule is to avoid any unneccessary breaks, splits, terminations of your video cables, it is possible if you really want to but it does depend on how you're transmitting the HDMI.

Some devices using non-established standards don't work great\at all with patch panels - check with the manufacturer.

HDBaseT should be fine providing the panels are terminated properly: HDBaseT Wiring Guidance

8. searchme

searchme
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I would use hdmi high speed cable and allow for redundancy. By which I mean run two cables. Currently I have a 4x2 matrix running x2 20m hdmi cables which translates to about 65 feet although the recommended is 10m I researched the cables I bought by looking at the testing they went through. It works for me. If your worried about relaying ir then get a Logitech harmony ultimate. Whole setup cost me less than £200 factor in what it's likely to cost for the hardware your going to buy and it will be more than double when your finished. Something to think about anyways

9. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but do any of you just run long HDMI cables about?
    We extend to one room, using a pyramid remot extender, works a treat....considering doing the same to an extension we are planning. Not a whizz with cat5/6, want the simplest solution!

10. searchme

searchme
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    If your distance is no greater than 20m I'd say hdmi cable all the way and factor in redundancy so run 2. With it being at roughly £1 pm it's a lot cheaper than cat5/6 and associated rx/txt points of running a few devices. Currently mine is 4x2 hdmi matrix serving a downstairs TV with Sonos sound bar and a TV upstairs in bedroom. I control it all with a Logitech harmony ultimate and for me it all works together great.
    In the future I plan to upgrade the matrix so I have also run x4 cat6 cables to each zone inc kids rooms but they just use the smart TV functions anyway for YouTube and Netflix until that changes I'm happy with the setup now. It's cost me less than £200 £110 being the Logitech harmony ultimate. So realistically £80 serving two zones 4 devices not bad compared to what some cat5/6 extenders will run you.

11. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Long hdmi cables is a solution I've used before successfully in my moms house, in fact it still works now. She has 15metres of hdmi direct upstairs, with IR repeaters and it works fine.

However, there are some key differences between our set ups. Firstly, my distance is longer and a more challenging route to cable, secondly I'll want 4k, 3d etc which will place higher demands of the cable.

In the OP's example, he wants to distribute to a number of different places, some of which are quite a distance. He might very well manage it with a splitter and standard hdmi cables, but there are lots of people on here who have tried and failed.

I agree searchme, 15m with decent cable and a hdmi matrix probably ok. Much further and you're asking for trouble.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Long HDMI is very hit & miss and the cables can and do fail.

Always run 2 or 3 Solid core CAT6 alongside the HDMI cables - that way you can revert to HDMI over HDBT if you hit a problem with the HDMI Cables plus you have a wired Network connection to your TV.

Joe

13. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    10m maximum is our rule of thumb, actually if between rooms we would always recommend Cat6.

HDBaseT Single Cat6 extenders, splitters or matrixes as this will cater for most resolutions, Infrared (especially important if using a matrix with multiple inputs) and also includes power over cable so no need for power at the receiver end.

Yes as people have posted 15M and even 20M HDMI cables may well work but they equally may not, and a change of equipment can be enough to stop them working, so that why we dont recommend this as a solution