Question HDMI over cat5 (adaptor) will this suffice

Chris4891

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Want to connect my receiver (Onkyo 609) to projector (Optoma HD65) - will this work or is there likely to be handshake issues or worse?

It just about breaks all the rules we would recommend for a HDMI over cat6 extender, that doesnt mean it wont work though.

1. No separate power supply
2. Proprietary HDMI over single cat5 solution rather than a recognised ratified solution such as HDBaseT
3. States 4K, but would doubt that over a single Cat5
4. Probably uses compression to get the signal over a single cat5

Ah ok many thanks.

How about this:-
image.png

Or this:-

4k HD 1080P 3D HDMI Extender Over Single RJ45 Cat 5e/6 Network Ethernet Adapter

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
May work, just we wouldnt recommend them unless they are HDBaseT chipset ones. At least it has power though

2nd one no as no power option

1st one you will need to get 5v power adapter but I suspect only one end has power receptacle so still no good as you will need power at both ends.

Sorry to be asking maybe another daft question but this one has power to both tx and rx ends:-

image.png

As my whole projector outlay so far is only £100 (OPTOMA hd65 and free 92" screen) I don't want to double that cost with hdbaset costs

Thanks

What distance are you needing?

I think a long HDMI cable should be fine mate. I got the HD65 which I connected to my ps3 via a 15 metre HDMI cable with no issues (£10/15 quid one off Amazon)

Been looking at getting a new projector myself (the hd65 is a cracking projector imo) and setup projector again in my new pad and never heard of distance issues before and it would seem it's come about on 1080p projectors as they need more bandwidth I guess. As the HD65 is going 720p I would try a HDMI only first

Definitely considering that but as the floor is being changed soon I thought I might lay the cat cable and get a neater finish - plus having kids I didn't really want a trailing wire when in use.

I will probably default to the long HDMI option purely on budgetary limitations.

Thanks

Lay the HDMI when the floors up.

To be honest I would also lay the cat 6 cable so it's there if the hdmi cable fails or once u got the bug u will want to go bigger and better so when u get a 1080p projector you have the cables already installed

Def going to do that but are flat cat6 cables ok as heard that twisted is better and obviously in a flat cable it's all side by side?

Thanks

CAT6 - avoid flat cable, and also avoid any low cost CCA.

Extenders - ensure whatever you go with has a good returns policy.

Extenders - be aware that some of the low cost HD over LAN single wire solutions will be compressing and processing the image, some will convert all 50Hz signals to 60Hz (which can look artificial when it's sports/anything which pans).

Joe

CAT6 - avoid flat cable, and also avoid any low cost CCA.

Extenders - ensure whatever you go with has a good returns policy.

Extenders - be aware that some of the low cost HD over LAN single wire solutions will be compressing and processing the image, some will convert all 50Hz signals to 60Hz (which can look artificial when it's sports/anything which pans).

Joe

Thanks. Is flat HDMI ok?

Fully Pre test any HDMI cable before you install it - I'd tend to avoid flat cable on anything longer than a couple of meters.

If you are 'installing' HDMI cables keep in mind they can fail so ensure you have a simple way to replace them.

Joe

Fully Pre test any HDMI cable before you install it - I'd tend to avoid flat cable on anything longer than a couple of meters.

Why?

If you are 'installing' HDMI cables keep in mind they can fail so ensure you have a simple way to replace them.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Flat HDMI - I've found the geometry of the cable means they are less reliable as you increase cable length/signal bandwidth vs. a conventional 'round' bundle.

Failed cables - where the connector mates with the cable stock is a fail point, we have had to 'rescue' a few folk who have embedded an HDMI cable only to have it fail (at the connector) or they manage to accidentally rip the connector off of the cable.

Often it is not a simple or low cost fix!

Joe

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just remember any HDMI cable over 8m will be Standard (not High Speed) and ignore talk about HDMI 2.0 - it is not relevant to HDMI cables.

The arrival of UHD puts added onus on installed cables.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom