Question HDMI Over Cat5/6 Recommendations and Query

ste1010

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Apologies for asking a common question, I have read lost of previous threads but still have some questions.

I am looking at wall mounting a 43" TV in a Kitchen/Diner which will be fed from a Sky HD box.

I have multi room but plan to have both Sky boxes in the living room. this will allow the multi room to feed the kitchen diner via HDMI, and also other bedrooms over existing coax.

After reading up on here it appears that HDBase-T is preferred, but is more expensive, but HDMI over dual CAT5e/6 cables will work.

Due to the spend on kitchen refit and building work new tv, etc etc the budget is limited.

I was looking for a product recommendation to cover the following

1-Cable Run will be 10-12m outside so will use Outdoor spec cable (solid strand copper, not CCA)
2-Looking for Power over cable with power supply at remote end only.
3-IR Feed for remote control
4-Max cost £100 for tx/rx (Cable is already covered)

I was looking at a Neet® - HDMI Extender over Cat6 / Cat5e / 30m ** WITH IR CONTROL FUNCTION from Amazon at around £30 plus another 15 for the remote extenders.

Can anyone recommend this set up, or advise an alternative product.

Thanks
Steve

After reading up on here it appears that HDBase-T is preferred, but is more expensive, but HDMI over dual CAT5e/6 cables will work.

Stick with HDbaset, its a false economy to go with anything else especially with your requirements for Power as well. Though at 12M and only for Sky 1080i signal you could run just a HDMI cable as long as you run cat6 as well for future upgrade and redundancy.

Seb

Thanks, a couple of questions.

Thanks for the reply.

If I go hdmi I guess I will need to run an additional coax for the remote to connect back to the sky box. This will cause an issue as I already use the rf out upstairs.

Also using an hdmi cable I will need to drill pretty big holes in the outside walls to get the plug through.

Any recommendations for hdbaset products in my budget.
Thanks

You could just use the free Sky app for use in the kitchen.

No HDBaseT with all the features in your budget as far as I know, ours is £199+VAT but we know it works. We have a few lower TRIAX cost ones left without the power over cable at £99+VAT

HDMI Over Single Cat5e/6 - HDBaseT

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom