Hdmi over cat 6 in new build lessons learnt.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Paul Gaskin, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi guys, I've recently bought a new build house and wanted all my rooms networked with Cat 6 cables to distribute HDMI over cat 6.

Just thought I'd share my lessons learnt with you.

I was shocked to learn that the builder "David Wilson Homes" had never been asked (on our site anyway) to run multiple Cat6 cables to each room, so I was expecting a massive bill as I has 2 * cat6 to the following rooms:

Lounge
    Kitchen
    Study
    Bathroom
    6 bedrooms

So as you can imagine a lot of cabling!

I had no idea what the builder was going to charge me for this but was very pleasantly surprised when they came back with £200 for the whole wiring of the cat 6 plus brush plates included all to be located to a central media cupboard.

I would definitely recommend getting at least 3 cat 6 cables run as my 4*4 matrix uses 2 so there's no redundancy should one fail or should I want to use a ethernet switch in the rooms. Also if your getting this done, I'm sure it's been mentioned in other threads, but don't get face plates use brush plates so there's no break in the cables!
    School boy error when getting the builder to install cables for the bathroom tv, I had power for TV from a fused switched spur, my 2 cat 6 cables, speaker cables, and a standard aerial cable. What I'd forgot to run in was the 5v power cable for the receiver for the matrix switcher! This leaves me with only free view in the bathroom for now but I have a plan to either get a 12v to 5v transformer so I can use the TV's 12v power supply or just leave it as is.
    The tv wall brackets I got off amazon and are an amazing bargain at only £6.99 for the 32" brackets and £7.99 for the 55" and 46" brackets.
    After a little bit of research I found a 4*4 matrix switch from a company in Durham, it was very reasonable at £459, so my plans are to have 2 of these to make up a 8*8 matrix. Not sure I'm allowed to mention there website but if you want details PM me.

Here's a list of my the gear for the complete set up:

Lounge:
    Samsung UE55F8000
    Sonos playbar
    Sonos sub
    2 * play 3 speakers

Kitchen:
    Samsung UE46F8000

Media cupboard:
    Digital climax 4*4 matrix (soon to be joined by another to give 8*8)
    2* Sky HD boxes
    Blue ray player
    Sonos bridge
    Bt infinity router

Bathroom:
    19" videospa waterproof TV
    2*Roof mounted speakers

6 bedrooms:
    Panasonic TX-L32E6B
    Sonos play 3 speakers

The setup is working well just need more time to get my 19" rack in media cupboard and another 4*4 matrix to complete :)

Hope you like the photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. delanoster

delanoster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Looks good, and £200 for the whole house is a bargain! Our cable guy at work charges £150 + VAT per point for Cat 5e.

What speakers are you using in the bathroom and what is driving them amp-wise?

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

Just a quick note - two 4x4 matrixes wont give you an 8x8, depending how you are connecting it will give you a 4x8 or 8x4. or just 2 x 4x4s. You will also possibly need some splitters as well

Also check the following do the receivers have separate IR receivers or do they have to be on show ?

4. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Delanoster. I think it was so cheap because they hadn't don't this before and supplied quote and took payment before job was started, I was expecting at least a four figure quote tbh :)

The bathroom ceiling mounted speakers are the recommended ones and are the same make as the TV (videospa) not sure what wattage tbh but sounds quite good.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  5. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Aclass, I've got the discreet IR receivers attached to the bottom centre of the tvs so you don't notice them.
    When I get my second 4*4 I'm going to have a sky box into that and the other Sky box into the other 4*4 matrix so that the kids can't mess around turning lounge tv channels when In Their bedrooms.
    Will see how it goes but easy access and all rooms labelled up can give me different configuration options.
    If I had a play station in the cupboard will the controller signal travel through so that I can play play station in different rooms?

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    So you are using them as 2 4x4s rather than combining them ?

7. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment that's my plan, got one set up already with both sky boxes and blu ray to lounge, kitchen, master bedroom and kids bedroom so need the other to supply other bedrooms and as I said messed up with bath TV Doh!

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    does bathroom TV have USB port, as the receivers can be powered by USB to 5V adapter

Add 4 splitters and you potentially have a 4x8 system, and you can always not split one of the sky boxes to protect from kids messing with channels but you still have access to theirs.

9. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I think there is a USB port, I will investigate when I get back home to the UK, small problem is I've sealed the TV now so means breaking up the seal and these Videospa tvs are supposed to have a special tool for doing such but the salesgirl let me into a secret and said don't buy the special tool just crack the bottom left hand corner very gently as this is the corner with no magnet.

I did a quick experiment and have actually got the tv aerial cable I ran behind the bathroom tv to the loft connected to another aerial cable I had run down into the media cupboard. I plugged the jointed aerial cables into RF2 on one of the sky boxes to try to get Sky working this way but couldn't find sky signal when I tried automatic tuning it and didn't have time to look into settings on sky box (wasn't sure if I had to activate RF2 to work in settings page somewhere?)

As for the 4 splitters my plan was to get the other 4*4 not only to distribute to remaining bedrooms but to have as a contingency backup should the other one fail for the main rooms.

How would the 4 splitters integrate to give me a potential 4*8 system over the Cat 6 btw?

Thanks for the ideas Aclass, it's been very hard getting to this stage as I work abroad and have pieced together the set up with no input upto now :)

10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    For the 4x8

Buy 4 splitters and from each source goto a splitter then from each output of the splitter to each of the matrixes.

11. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the input Aclass, much appreciated.

12. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Btw not impressed with sonos gear might grow on me we will see!

13. sattapaal

sattapaal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    good effort here paul! i too went for 2 cat 6 in my house renovation, but i didnt have them nicely presented like in your bargain! i actually bought standard lengths of belkin cables already terminated and snagless.

i was working on a budget though and it proved that timing was everything because the builders, like yours, havent done anything like this before, and they were just going to leave the entire wiring job! i found it incredibly stressful, and there is so much more tinkering i am likely to do. I'm glad the wiring is there though.

well done though mate. i have a similar set up, but i have a IR matrix and speaker cable going into 2 lounges.

the thing that pisses me off is that single cat 6 to HDMI baluns are north of £60 generally, because i could sure use the other cable to feed internet to smart TV's.

14. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    To be honest I would avoid single Cat6 HDMi Extenders that aren't HDBaseT as otherwise they will be proprietary and not a recognised standard, that does mean your £60 per set is more like £200 though.

Make sure your builders haven't run the Cat6s in parallel with the Electrics, or you are going to have issues down the line.

15. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick update sonos all up and working and sounds stunning :) image.jpg

16. allymacb

allymacb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,
    That looks amazing! Do you mind if I ask which development this was on? I'm having problems even getting our builders to even upgrade the coaxial!!!!

17. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    David Wilson homes at teal farm village in north east.

You got to plan from the start and get the site sparky involved and tell him what you want exactly.

Get 3 cat 6 cables just incase you want to need extra. Wish I had of.

18. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hi Paul,

Your home looks awesome! Glad that you posted this - multiroom HD/audio doesn't have to be difficult and can be quite enjoyable with some planning! Cabled infrastructure is a must to get the most out of your hardware in the long run... it is so surprising that this doesn't come as standard in new builds in place of coax!

19. sattapaal

sattapaal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Especially for smart TV's. streaming HD movies through wireless network sometimes breaks out (I dont see why HDMI with Ethernet is a thing, its barely used in my house!) so a wired internet connection to the Smart TV's would have been handy. (2 for HDMI, 1 for Internet (can be split), possibly even one for IR, but you can control everything by your phone these days).

I have taken the first steps of introducing SONOS to my wired set up. Bought the Play 5 for my kitchen diner and its kind of hidden above my fridge. I got to say, i was apprehensive about SONOS, as the price was a massive put off. But just the one speaker has out-done my Tannoy Revolution R2 floorstanders. Add to that, that SONOS will index your music library if you have a PC/server hooked up to your network.

Paul, did you buy the Connect:AMP too? I was considering this to integrate everything. (SONOS Out/TV Audio In). The zP120 and zP90 (non-amp) seem to be dropping in 2nd hand prices.

20. Paul Gaskin

Paul Gaskin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've got the Sonos sub, 2 * play 3s and the playbar connected to my tv with the bridge in my media cupboard. All controlled via sonos app on my htc one and ipad via sonos app. All goes great with Spotify and all linked to give a decent surround (ish) sound from tv when watching movies.