HDMI over Cat 5e/6, any disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DannyBoy73, Feb 9, 2009.

1. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi,

I need to run HDMI (1.3) over 12 meters, from a PS3 to a projector that supports Deep Colour (48bit??).

I'm thinking about CAT5e/6 cabling, but what are the disadvantages to this??

As these cables are going to be burried into the walls, I'm thinking a CAT5 solution will also be future proof? I.e. when HDMI 1.4 comes out, it should just be a case of upgrading the convertors on each need and not needing to rip the walls apart?

Cheers

2. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    If using Cat6 cabling, 1080p 48bit should be very easily achievable.

Cat6 cabling should ensure 1080p 48bit at the very least up to 30m.

12m therefore should make you decently future proof for the potential of version 1.4.

In my experience with HDMI over Cat5 to date, it has been superbly reliable. I don't really see a downside other than having to use the Transmitter and Receiver units.

I would recommend using Cat6 cabling though as it is far better suited to HD transmissions. Cat-6 cabling is superior to Cat5 or Cat5e network cabling provides performance of up to 250 MHz, more than double category 5 and 5e, which is much better for demanding HD installs.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello DannyBoy73

I'd run a decent 12m HDMI cable for now and use a couple of lengths of CAT6 as your potential backup if you found the installed HDMI cable lacking at a later date.

See The Media Factory

CAT6 will handle higher data rates - though does require more careful handling than CAT5 or CAT5e.

Where possible its best to install the cables in a conduit.

Keep in mind when planning out your install that any half decent HDMI over CAT5 Receiver will have a power supply so you'll require an additional socket up at the Projector.

Joe

4. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Cheers guys for both your inputs.

Joe, if there's no disadvantage to running over CAT 6 (apart from power), then why would I bother with the HDMI cable and CAT 6 for later??

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to put some cat 6 in and get the convertors, all in all for less than 100 pounds?

Cheers

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello DannyBoy73

Where the installation dictates we have too we use and supply HDMI over CAT5 extenders - The Media Factory

Where we can we use CAT2 or CAT1 cables we know will deliver 1080p on a 'direct' connection we use them as its less likely to raise any potential EDID/HDCP conflicts.

On a head to head comparison where you are viewing a relatively large projected image the direct connection is likely to be slightly sharper too.

It would be worth running a head to head test before you decide to go down the 'over CAT5' option in favour of a direct connection.

Joe

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218

Of course Cat6 is only better when terminated correctly for 12m your well within the limits of a good quality HDMI cable (such as the octava which i have used up to 15m to an AE3000 from a Panny Blu-ray deck) Cat5 would be a useful addition for anything you find you need later not catered for in a single HDMI.