HDMI Over Cat 5 Question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by airjay75, Aug 26, 2017.

1. airjay75

airjay75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I just bought a new house and am trying to figure out the wiring for one of the rooms. Here is the setup. Coaxial cable comes out of wall into DVR/Cable box. HDMI cable from DVR to a HDMI/Cat5 transmitter box. Two Cat 5e cables come out of that box and go through wall to a receiver on the other side of the room. Then, there is an HDMI cable from that receiver to the TV. I got everything hooked up and working fine as an initial matter, but I seem to run into a problem when I turn the TV off. I leave the DVR on. When I turn the TV back on, all I get is a blue screen. If I go unplug the HDMI cable feeding from the DVR to the HDMI/Cat5 transmitter box and plug it back in, then the picture comes back on the TV.

I've been searching online to figure out what's going on to no avail. I'm no A/V expert by any means - I've read some things about issues with the HDMI handshake and making sure you power up your devices in the right order. Is it a simply a consequence of this set up that I can't turn off my TV alone without this problem occurring? Could this stem from the fact that my TV is only a 780p HDTV?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. airjay75

airjay75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, maybe I've figured things out here. Perhaps someone more knoweldgeable than me can tell me if I'm right. So the outlet that the HDMI/Cat5 balun transmitter plugs into is actually controlled by a switch on the wall. It seems that, as long as I turn the TV on first and then flip the switch to power up the transmitter, everything is just fine - I never shut the DVR box off. From what I've read online, with HDMI over cat5 setups, the order in which you power things can make a pretty significant difference, and I'm guessing the prior owner of the house deliberately wired this particular outlet to be controlled by the wall switch for this exact purpose (the prior owner was very meticulous about wall switches - lots of dimmers, timer controlled switches, and even one motion controlled switch). Of course, it would be nice if you didn't have to power things up in this manner, but maybe there isn't really a way to accomplish this with particular set-up.

The only earlier thought I had was whether the fact that my TV is only 740p makes a difference. Buying a 1080p TV today, so I guess I'll see if that makes a difference.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    Dual CAT HDMI Extenders are mostly older designs - and more prone to handshaking problems.

Older TV's didn't deal too well with many Extenders - no matter what Resolution the TV is or supported.

Your New TV will likely handshake faster than the old Display - HDMI signalling 'starts' at the TV and works its way back to the Source.

Joe

4. airjay75

airjay75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Joe. For you or anyone else, is there a better way to wire this that I should think about? I suppose I need to think about consulting someone local to come out and tell me what my options are.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    I'd see how it goes with the New TV - the wiring sounds like it is working so if you are still having issues I'd then think about changing the HDMI Extender to a more recent design.

Joe