HDMI output help...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Biccy, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Hopefully one of you clever chaps could help me with something im getting a bit confused about! I'm in process of selecting components for getting built a fairly decent spec custom PC built & had got everything decided upon.....until I thought about HDMI connectivity.

My new PC will be connected to a Panasonic 26" PV500 HD-TV which has a VGA input. As my set-up is in a small room I don't have a surround sound set-up & the TV's speaker quality is very good so I use these anyway. To benefit from HDMI signals carrying picture & sound that will go to my TV i'm wondering how to achieve this.

As the graphics cards I have been looking at are all DVI out then im losing the option of a sound signal to the TV & would have to use seperate speakers which I dont want to do. Am i right in thinking that a HDMI graphics card wouldn't output sound anyway, & relies on a seperate SPDIF output? (which is no good as I wont be connecting to an amp). Unless im wrong is there an option to go for a moterboard with HDMI output, & if so would I then not be using the graphics card & therefore missing out on any help that would give to the picture?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as this is the only thing holding me up from getting my new PC built. Im quite keen to use one of the nVidia 8000 series cards if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. Catsmeat

Catsmeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a 7300GS (this one) with HDMI output and it does come with a cable to attach the card to the spdif header on your motherboard / soundcard. I think what you're after should be possible then.

However I haven't tried this so I can't confirm that it works I'm afraid (I'm feeding a pj, so no sound).

3. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My Sapphire X1600 HDMI video card definitely has a SDPIF input which passes through the HDMI cable to the screen. So I get audio and video over the single HDMI cable.

4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies. It's good that I can connect the standard sound to the graphics card & out via the HDMI, I can't seem to find any of the nVidia 8000 series with HDMI out though so that's a bit of a pain.

I could always get by with VGA & use the 2 speakers I have for my PC for the time being & wait, & hopefully somebody will make the 8000's with a HDMI connection in the future. I see that ATI's R600 will have HDMI & onboard sound so that could be a future option.

Thanks again.

5. Catsmeat

Catsmeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    VGA inputs usually have an audio input associated with them. If your tv has this feature then you can connect your soundcard output to this and get sound through the telly.

6. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have this but unfortunately my Xbox 360 uses that input, maybe there is some kind of input splitter I could find & use the same connection for poth PC & 360, doubt it though, will have a look in a bit.