HDMI Output Graphics Card for PC & Media Centres

coalfield

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just a quick bit of news I thought you HD buffs may find interesting :thumbsup:

MSI are soon to release a high end graphics card which provided a HDMI output with HDCP. It seems there are no other products like this on the market at the moment.

http://www.msicomputer.co.uk/uk_news.aspx?News_Id=66

If anyone wants to know availability and price on such a product let me know and I can pass you on the information. :smashin:

chachi said:
Maybe I missed something, but what is the need for HDCP output from a PC ?

To play Blu-Ray or HD-DVD media through Vista (when they start putting the copy protection on).

So you want to buy an expensive high end HDMI output card .....
When there is no operating system that can use it ......
and no hardware to drive it ......

Nice idea, but I prefer to light cuban cigars with £20 notes, when I have that much money to spare.

When HD-DVD and Bluray titles are released, the only way you will be able to view them is on an HDCP enabled graphics card on HDTV! :eek:

Unfortunatly if hollywood have their way, you will not be able to crack this copy protection, in the same way you aint gonna be cracking sky digital any time soon. The only way is round it will be watching SD.

coalfield said:
... you will not be able to crack this copy protection
Just like CSS, RCE and everything else "the industry" has tried? :rotfl:
coalfield said:
... the same way you aint gonna be cracking sky digital any time soon
I think you'll find they've already figured out NDS and the command sequences quite well actually

coalfield said:
you will not be able to crack this copy protection, in the same way you aint gonna be cracking sky digital any time soon. The only way is round it will be watching SD.

Or you could just buy one of the little boxes that remove HDCP from the HDMI signal, currently selling in the £150 - £100 price range but bound to drop as sales increase.

pjclark1 said:
Or you could just buy one of the little boxes that remove HDCP from the HDMI signal, currently selling in the £150 - £100 price range but bound to drop as sales increase.

That might not be any use if Vista stops you from playing it if it can't detect a card with HDCP Support

Just a worse case guess

Argh!:lesson:

What little black boxes!!!??? Try buying one today, go on!
Get in your cart and send me the link....

The technicalities of the encryption may well be easily broken flawed or unworkable, but if no devices are sold (anymore) with the capabilties of working in accordance with the encryption standards, how we going to get around it?
It seems for the past year the powers that be have beed systematically stopping the sale of such devices.
So there's no more DD-D12Ps for sale or the re-badged (but same thing) DVIMagic (digitalconections and spatz tech won't sell um).
All talk of such devices in forums stopped last August.
The only ones for sale today are from some guy named Krasyg on the US Ebay and he wants a $450 Wire Tranfer off of ebay's books.:suicide:

We should stop this brovado whilst there are no purchasable solutions for watching Sky HD, blue ray or HD DVD without all HDCP compliant devices. I think the big boys may be winning for now....

coalfield said:
Unfortunatly if hollywood have their way, you will not be able to crack this copy protection, in the same way you aint gonna be cracking sky digital any time soon. The only way is round it will be watching SD.

Please have a look at this.
So far as the yet very quiet forums are claiming, a new app called FairUse4WM can be used to strip Windows Media DRM 10 and 11 (i.e. PlaysForSure, but not WM DRM 9).

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/fairuse4wm-strips-windows-media-drm/

Not much to say . Is it ? :D

which cracks WDRM, so somewhat related but off topic

Seem to be a few HMDI/HDCP cards already around and more on the way ATI new X1950 soon to be released and the current X1300 also a couple on NVIDIA ones as well. 76.. and 66.. ranges. Although you have to be careful which ones are and which are not are compliant. Seem the cards themselves from ATI /NVIDIA come without the HDCP chip and it’s down to the second tier maker to add them. Also worth noting they're mainly 256 I'm guessing to keep the heat down and avoid the fan noise (heat sinks instead etc). Exect the new ATI range which is supposed to be new benchmark. Also the new 7950 double bubble card may have a HDCP chip but I'm not sure. Its certainly becoming more of a stanard. I certanily would'nt buy a new card without one, then again I would go out an bother buying one as yet if I did'nt have to.

NaTT - plenty of devices still available. Just not as easy to find or indeed ask for, but the usual suspects are still doing them. Easiest to get is HDCP DVI to Analogue VGA converter - I'm using one on my Panasonic plasma right now! ALL DVI distribution amplifiers manufactured up until recently you will find have at least one non-HDPC output, this is because the IC's from Silicon Images were not actually available to these manufacturers. Even older Gefen DAs will do it!

any Digital to Digital ones you can name? (I'm not a fan of my Pio434MXE-1's ability with the component input)

NaTT said:
any Digital to Digital ones you can name? (I'm not a fan of my Pio434MXE-1's ability with the component input)
As I said any one of a number of DVI 1:2 DAs which were manufactured more than say six months ago. Old stock of Gefens for example (ones coming through now do not), one of the ones Keene did after the DD12p did it, Keene even have a curiously named "HDMI to DVI converter"....

OK your suggested D2A was to the VGA input which may do me as well, but then I might as well go from the component out on SkyHD to my VGA in on my screen. Then I don't need a convertor.
Which would give the best image do you think?

MXEs tend to crush detail on the analogue inputs so D-D would be best I would guess. YUV-VGA would be cheaper though! Depends how well you intend to setup your screen and if you would realistically see enough of a difference to justify. I still have plenty of customers happilly using YUV out of the Sky HD box.

Great stuff thanks for the repsonses Liam.
How many of those customers though, have gotten used to their MXE being fed via a HCPC : Pixcel matched over DVI <- DScaler 4.11 <- Sweetspot <- NTL: RGB? It's very good for SD TV.

An alternative I'm toying with is having an AV Reciever convert the component into HDMI and take that to the screen. Or would that be a bit Kak?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom