hdmi OUT on tv to send video to projector

Robin66

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've recently created a chill-out room with a drop down screen and a projector. I want to add a TV for casual viewing during the day and I thought I'd get one with hdmi OUT so that I can throw live tv onto the screen if I wanted to (mainly football). However this doesn't seem to be widely available. I've look thru the manuals of prospective tvs and so far haven't found one with hdmi OUT. Am I missing something? what do other people with projectors and TVs do?

I've also never seen a TV with an HDMI output. It might a demand thing or even a licence issue

A lot of folks with a projector also have some sort of separate audio system with an AV receiver and speakers. A lot of AVRs have dual outputs exactly for this reason. A lot of PJs are either video only or have very poor speakers so it's likely you'd want better audio anyway.

An alternative might be some sort of HDMI splitter or switch.

yeah I have an AV receiver with surround speakers. I was going to connect the TV sound to it using the optical audio output. It doesn't seem there's anyway to get the video out of the TV and into the projector though.

@Jamie seems you're right about it being a licence issue. I'll drop idea of watching tv on the projector

" The reason for this [not having hdmi out], is due to two things, Digital Rights Management (DRM) and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) "

Many folk with 'dual screen' systems tend to not use the TV tuner as a Source and will, as Jamie says, run external Source devices via an AVR with Dual HDMI Out or add a 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) to the AVR Out.

What Source do you wish to view on the Projector?

Joe

I'd like to watch live TV broadcasts on the projector. I've since bought a TV and a hdmi splitter (as you suggested), so my set up is now
bluray player (includes apps netflix, amazon prime....) --> AV receiver --> hdmi splitter --> projector & TV

I've given up on getting live TV on the projector. My blu ray player is quite old so some of the apps have stopped working so I might replace this soon. although I'm thinking about getting a ps4 which might do instead. ARC isn't working with the splitter but I'm not sure if it's due to the splitter or the hdmi cable so I've got a new cable and an optical cable coming today.

Are you in the UK and do you have an aerial? A cheap second hand BT Youview box will give you all Freeview channels and most of the apps you might want (iplayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Britbox, Now TV etc)

Yes I'm in London and I do have an aerial. I'll look into that option. Chromecast might be an option too. Apparently there's an app called FreeView FV which streams all the free terrestrial channels.

ARC when you have any form of ‘splitter’ in the signal path will not work - if the Splitter is ARC compatible it will have an Optical Out to allow you to break out the ARC audio to Optical to connect to the AVR.

With a non-ARC compatible splitter use an Optical cable direct from the TV to the AVR.

As Jamie says you can add a device ahead of the AVR to allow you to access Freeview on the Projector.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom